Author Topic: Help? (first batch of cheese isn't turning into cheese)  (Read 1074 times)

dantose

Help? (first batch of cheese isn't turning into cheese)
« on: January 30, 2017, 10:32:47 AM »
Ok, so I'm trying to make my first batch, a cheddar, but seem to be having issues. Not ever having done this before, I have no idea what step things are going wrong or how to fix it.

So, here's what I've done:
1. Used a fresh gallon of store bought 2% milk (pasteurized, but not UHT pasteurized)
2. Warmed it on the stove to 85 degrees and added calcium chloride. Looks and tastes like about room temperature milk.
3. Added 1 packet mesophylic direct set starter and let work for 1 hour. No change in look or taste.
4. Added 1/4 tsp of animal rennet diluted in 1/2 cup water. Let sit for 1 hour. Still no change in look or taste.

I'm supposed to have curds by now, but have nothing. Ideas?

Offline Bernardsmith

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 2
  • Default personal text
Re: Help? (first batch of cheese isn't turning into cheese)
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 07:59:29 PM »
Two quick thoughts: A) Is it possible that although the milk was not UHT the pasteurizing temperature was simply too high? and
B) might you have used tap water to dilute your rennet and might that water have contained chlorine? Might the chlorine have denatured the rennet (and the culture)?

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 05:25:33 AM »
How much calcium chloride ?

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 03:09:47 PM »
Do not use 2% milk.

Duntov

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 05:07:19 PM »
What strength rennet did you use and what kind?  2% milk is okay as many cheese are made with it such as Parma types.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 05:13:29 PM by Duntov »

dantose

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 07:57:58 AM »
Sorry for the long absence. I was an idiot and misread the label. It was UHT. Went higher temp on it and did a paneer kinda thing to salvage.