Author Topic: Gruyere practice  (Read 5053 times)

Ahriman

Re: Gruyere practice
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2017, 10:22:08 AM »
Actually I was stirring not stronger then usually - just to let my curds swim not to sit and stick together. Wrong?
Yes,  I'm using floc test. I was trying to get my clean break as written in Caldwell''s book -25- 35 minutes. Actually it was 42 min till clean break and cutting - 12 min to floculation and then + 2,5*12=30 min. Usually I am having that result of about 40-42 minutes. Will try next time to achieve 30 min.
PH meter very simple, the very same as below.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2017, 08:18:46 PM »
I'm not familiar with that model of pH meter. Is there a way to calibrate it?
-- Andy

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2017, 06:10:27 AM »
I have never made that cheese but it is a cousin to the tomme in some ways.

Tomme would be 45 minutes  to an hour at a 100 degrees , tomme is a slightly moister cheese .

So it is not hugely off , what would be more important would be if you where at that temp to long ., if you make it again and get to that point with out variations from the make then try bring it down to 45 minutes and see what changes you get .

When you squeezed the curd together did it stick together at all?   They should cling to each  in a blob , but break apart into grains again if you pick at the clump .

Ahriman

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2017, 09:55:40 AM »
Yes, this ph Meter can be and was calibrated by buffer solutions with different ph.
Actually curds were not sticky at all and what surprises me is that curds got pressed very well. The time will show what it be.  Any way. ..for sure if wI'll be cheeeese :-)
What makes me curious is the issue of cheese ph right After pressing. I understand that it should be acidic of about 5.3. How it is possible to measure and control? Or ph of the whey before draining of 6.3 is enough to estimate the ph of curds? This ph level is to evaluate the activity of bacteria only?
How you do it practically? Or no measures just years of practice?
Thank you

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2017, 03:10:20 PM »
You can press the meter into the top of the cheese and accept that you will have a mark , before pressing marks will go away , you can also press a little more after testing just enough to lessen mark then salt.

You can have a spare small cheese that you poke  full of holes to get readings.   It will be a little off as pressing speeds up ph  drop a little from my understanding .

You can also cut away the protective plastic that surrounds the bulb and contact , just be more carful with it after that .  You will still get a mark but it will be 1/4 the size.

Lastly you can take a sample of th cheese emulsify it and test, but it is complicated , Linuxboy has instructions of a sort somewhere on this forum .

Ahriman

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2017, 08:03:41 AM »
THank you, Gregore, for well-timed answer. yesterday I cooked again and everything went perfect.
Actually I see that i've been stirring too strong before. Yesterday my curds was very good!!!
So, ph of the whey was declining very slowly (I've been warming milk  to 49C/120F during 50 minutes) and arrived to 6.5. After that i've been stirring some 15 minutes to arrive to 6.3 and then let the curds to sit for some 10 minutes more - ph 6.1. Before the first flip and redress -  ph 5.8 (i'm sure the figure is not correct because of the type of phMeter. I just pressed the meter into the top of the cheese.
Thank you