Author Topic: Milk to cheese....  (Read 179 times)

Offline matsnykanen

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
    • Ostdagboken
Milk to cheese....
« on: February 07, 2017, 08:44:51 AM »
So, I was thinking, What is the best way to culture blue cheese?
I've only tried feta. Any suggestions?  ;D

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 188
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
Re: Milk to cheese....
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 01:50:25 PM »
Let me see if I can narrow down your question a bit. Are you asking about the ripening bacteria, or the blue mold, or the make process?

For the ripening bacteria, you will generally use a mesophilic blend; this can be as simple as using cultured buttermilk, but most of us use freeze-dried cultures - and there are a bunch something like Flora Danica, for example, although there are many others that would work as well.

For the blue mold - Penicillium Roqueforti (PR) - you can either buy a particular strain in a freeze dried or liquid form, or you can culture the mold from a blue cheese that you like. The latter, of course, is less precise - you may get some wild blues mixed in with the blues from the cheese.

Most people buy both the bacteria and the PR from on-line sources. I don't recall how many folks we have on here from Norway, but hopefully someone from that region can suggest on-line sources that ship to Norway for a reasonable cost.

If you are asking, not about the bacteria/mold cultures, but rather about the recipe (the make process), then we will need to get more information on which type of blue cheese you want to make. A Stilton-type, for example, is made very differently than a Gorgonzola-type.
-- Andy