Author Topic: Babies born *pics*  (Read 5264 times)

blackthorn

Babies born *pics*
« on: June 21, 2009, 12:36:12 PM »
Hi  :)
Here are the latest additions to our sheep dairy, all are of the Assaf breed, they are being hand raised and their mothers are milking well-averaging just over a litre each a day and expected to peak at around 2-2.5 litres.

Enjoy!
Nessa

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Babies born *pics*
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 03:01:38 PM »
Thhey are so cute! Congrats on the new babies!

MrsKK

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 03:04:32 PM »
Thanks for sharing the pics!  How many sheep do you have and how many of them do you milk?

Ariel301

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 01:00:33 AM »
How adorable! Baby lambs are so cute. I haven't seen Assaf sheep before. Where are they from?

A friend of ours has a flock of Friesian sheep she milks; that was my first introduction to dairy sheep. We originally wanted to go that route, but couldn't afford dairy sheep (the only ones we could find were several states away and hundreds of dollars each!), so we stuck with goats instead.

Thanks for sharing your pictures of your beautiful sheep.

blackthorn

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 05:37:22 AM »
We have around 30 we're milking this year-we've just put up our dairy and we're now working on our cheese room, I've just bought a really reasonably priced pasteuriser/cheese vat, now all we need to do is get past council and health authority and we'll be set! I'm hoping to increase my flock size to 50-60-I wouldn't like to have more than I can remember names for (I can easily remember 35 so hopefully it won't be too bigger stretch!). Assaf sheep are a cross between an East Friesian and an Awassi, I'm hoping they'll milk well!
Nessa