Author Topic: Who sells cheese humidifiers  (Read 5941 times)

Lars

Who sells cheese humidifiers
« on: February 15, 2017, 10:41:25 PM »
I have just started making cheese but I struggle to get the right humidity. I have found a advanced humidifier at perfect-cheese.com that that looks really good. You can adjust humidity up to 99%, but they don't have it in stock or answer my emails. So what other companies sell them? 
Thanks, Lars
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 12:26:39 AM by Lars »

Duntov

Re: Who sells cheese humidifiers
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 12:13:22 PM »
What size cave do you have?  If it is small you may be able to do a passive setup with a bowl and sponges.

I am not positive, but I think the Perfect Cheese unit is what I call a 'swamp cooler' in that it pulls air through a water saturated mesh wick.  I have heard that some people are happy with them but other says they they don't do the job for them  But from my experience with swamp coolers having lived for awhile in Arizona, they are best effective in a dry air environment.

Another option is to use a portable ultrasonic humidifier with an inexpensive controller unit.  I use one of these in a wine cooler along with a cheap reptile controller.  If used in a small cave, the disadvantage is that the height of the bottle can limit how low your first shelf can be positioned.  They also produce the most fog if the water source is warm.  However, even at 55F, they are still effective enough.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 12:18:56 PM by Duntov »

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 03:24:37 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Lars!

John at Perfect-Cheese has been an active member here in the past, but has been off-line for several months - he has been moving, and no doubt that has disrupted his communications and business.
-- Andy

Beans

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 07:24:32 PM »
I use something similar to this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/INKBIRD-Humidity-and-Temperature-Dual-use-Controller-1200W-110V-Thermostat-Hy-/322408249162?hash=item4b1107774a:g:MwEAAOSwTglYkFuw

with a off the shelf humidifier.  Pretty cheap and I've never had any problems.  I use it for a fridge charcuterie box as well.

Lars

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 10:25:59 PM »
What size cave do you have?  If it is small you may be able to do a passive setup with a bowl and sponges.

I am not positive, but I think the Perfect Cheese unit is what I call a 'swamp cooler' in that it pulls air through a water saturated mesh wick.  I have heard that some people are happy with them but other says they they don't do the job for them  But from my experience with swamp coolers having lived for awhile in Arizona, they are best effective in a dry air environment.

Another option is to use a portable ultrasonic humidifier with an inexpensive controller unit.  I use one of these in a wine cooler along with a cheap reptile controller.  If used in a small cave, the disadvantage is that the height of the bottle can limit how low your first shelf can be positioned.  They also produce the most fog if the water source is warm.  However, even at 55F, they are still effective enough.

I am using a small wine fridge. The climate in my country is dry compared to the swamps in Arizona, so I think the device at perfect-cheese.com would work just perfect.  hmm I understand. What control unit is compatible with a ultrasonic humidifier? I am concerned that it might be difficult to get it working. Some wiring between the components needs to be done correctly etc. I don't have much knowledge about this. Thanks anyway

Lars

Lars

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 10:30:46 PM »
I use something similar to this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/INKBIRD-Humidity-and-Temperature-Dual-use-Controller-1200W-110V-Thermostat-Hy-/322408249162?hash=item4b1107774a:g:MwEAAOSwTglYkFuw

with a off the shelf humidifier.  Pretty cheap and I've never had any problems.  I use it for a fridge charcuterie box as well.

I have been thinking about buying a dual controller, but my problem is that I don't know how to get it working with a humidifier. I want to to able to control the humidity exactly. 

AnnDee

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 12:24:45 AM »
I used bottle cap humidifier before, it is good for small cave. It's also cheap, around USD5. It last around 5-6 months depending how you use it.

Dorchestercheese

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2017, 01:46:04 AM »
I can't seem to find a unit that works well with a power controller.  When the unit reaches humidity the power to the unit is turned off then I have to press it back on when the power returns to the unit.  Defeats the purpose of a humidity controller

Duntov

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2017, 10:28:58 AM »
I can't seem to find a unit that works well with a power controller.  When the unit reaches humidity the power to the unit is turned off then I have to press it back on when the power returns to the unit.  Defeats the purpose of a humidity controller

See my post above.  Works fine with a controller and mine is still working as new after 1-1/2 years.

Dorchestercheese

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2017, 11:41:52 AM »
Thanks john