Author Topic: More Cam/Brie recipe tweak  (Read 1209 times)

AeonSam

More Cam/Brie recipe tweak
« on: February 16, 2017, 04:30:20 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I've been steadily trying to make Cam/Brie in a manner that I'm satisfied with so I've been combing through these archives and found some advice that was entirely different than what I've been operating with.

So I switched to PC ABL which was said to be a lot less aggressive than the PC Sam that I was using. The idea being that it wouldn't break down protein as quickly - producing ammonia.

I also added MD89 and KL71 which was said to produce more buttery notes without totally altering the cheese.

The biggest changes are that I'm aimed for a 4.8 - 4.9 PH. Every recipe that I've had was in the 4.6 - 4.7 Range.

Also, I warmed the milk to 95F with a floc multiplier of 3 instead of 6. The ph level reaches 6.45 by the time that the rennet is ready.

Lastly, the curd is cut and stirred just slightly so as to not begin to form a skin. It needs to be porous still.  I failed in accomplishing the last step resulting in a firmer than normal curd so the wheel itself feels more solid and dense than what I'm accustomed to.

So here are some pics. The noticeable difference is that These are two weeks old and no ammonia smell, plus the Geo has grown nice and smooth. I'm very please with the external results so far.

I'm also keeping these in a ripening box for the duration of their aging life.

These wheels are 1.5 Pounds each.

Sam

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
Re: More Cam/Brie recipe tweak
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 01:52:05 PM »
Good work, Sam! I'll look forward to hearing how the results come out for you.
-- Andy

AeonSam

Re: More Cam/Brie recipe tweak
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 11:09:01 PM »
Thanks Andy,

Hope all is well.

Sam