Author Topic: New Cheese Cave Set Up Upright Freezer  (Read 2221 times)

Offline nccheesemike

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 35
  • Default personal text
New Cheese Cave Set Up Upright Freezer
« on: February 17, 2017, 02:24:03 PM »
So I bought a new Cheese Cave last weekend and have got it set up now at my intended temperature 53 degrees Inkbird controller and humidity 85%. I'm just using 2 plastic containers to keep humidity up. I do plan to replace the shelves with wood but now I've got lots more room to make more cheese. I had been using a small mini fridge for the last year.

Making some Swiss this weekend. Happy Friday all!!

Mike

Dorchestercheese

Re: New Cheese Cave Set Up Upright Freezer
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 01:49:45 PM »
Hi Mike-
Stupid question but with a controller I can make a freezer a cave just as well as I did with a refrigerator?
I have a power controller for the refrigerator that turns on power to the unit when its needed.

5ittingduck

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 09:26:02 PM »
Nice.
I predict much cheesemaking in the future ;)

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 12:02:36 AM »
Hi Mike-
Stupid question but with a controller I can make a freezer a cave just as well as I did with a refrigerator?
I have a power controller for the refrigerator that turns on power to the unit when its needed.

Sure can!!
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Duntov

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2017, 10:47:11 AM »
Hi Mike-

You can as-long-as your freezer is not the type that has coils in the shelves. 

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2017, 01:03:28 PM »
Actually my last one had coils in the shelves and it worked great.  The shelves retained water droplets from condensation and made for a near perfect Rh.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 01:12:13 PM by Al Lewis »

Duntov

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2017, 04:45:41 PM »
Actually my last one had coils in the shelves and it worked great.  The shelves retained water droplets from condensation and made for a near perfect Rh.

Interesting.  Mine was terrible.  The shelves radiated too much cold for the cheeses that were sitting directly on them.  But the overall air temp was okay.

Dorchestercheese

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2017, 08:40:27 PM »
Keep sharing.  You guys are encouraging me to upgrade.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2017, 01:21:39 PM »
Interesting.  Mine was terrible.  The shelves radiated too much cold for the cheeses that were sitting directly on them.  But the overall air temp was okay.

I placed bamboo mats and plastic mats on mine to keep the cheese up, off of the shelves.

Duntov

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2017, 06:43:33 PM »

I placed bamboo mats and plastic mats on mine to keep the cheese up, off of the shelves.

I did the same things but still had too much cold.  Maybe the design of my coils was a bit different.  All-in-all I think cooling coils in the shelves are more risky. 

DoctorCheese

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2017, 09:20:22 PM »
Here is what I am working with. The upper compartment stays about 10 degrees colder than the bottom area, so I use it for cheese that need to take a chill pill.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2017, 06:00:11 PM »

I did the same things but still had too much cold.  Maybe the design of my coils was a bit different.  All-in-all I think cooling coils in the shelves are more risky.
  Here's the best shot I have of my setup.  I then placed bamboo mats over these.  If anyone is having a problem with this then this is how I solved it.

Billingsley15

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2017, 11:58:40 PM »
Hi All,
Just in case this information can help anyone, I'll share how I set up my small cave.
I had an electrician friend set up the controller on the small fridge with the heating phase of the controller connected to the fridge light.
Its a surprise how much heat is generated by a small globe inside a closed fridge.
So now the refrigeration starts up to get down to temp but with the heating facility, the light comes on to raise the temp.
This allows me to use the cave for various early stages where temperatures of around 20-22C (68-72F) are called for.
I also use the fridge to mature cultures at around 30-32C (90F).
Cheers