Author Topic: Flocculation time and multiplier  (Read 2097 times)

Viking

Flocculation time and multiplier
« on: February 20, 2017, 07:56:40 AM »
In Wiki, I have found this very clear information regarding flocculation time:
http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php?topic=1880.15

There are 6 multipliers.
Now I would like to learn, which cheeses to put under each multiplier.
As far as I have learned, there are those different kinds:
fresh soft, fresh firm , soft, semi soft, semi hard, hard, semi firm and firm.

So, my question are: how can I link those different kinds of cheeses to the different multiplier (from 1 to 6)

minkcar

Re: Flocculation time and multiplier
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 09:45:57 PM »
Higher floc multiplier is a lot like larger cutting size: they both lead to more trapped moisture.  This leads to softer cheeses and shorter aging times, as a general rule.

So, a floc multiplier of 6 is going to be likely a fresh soft, and probably can't be anything else.  A floc multiplier of 1.5 is going to be hard, and need longer aging (something like parm).  Most recipes I've seen for pressed cheeses are in the 3-3.5 range, and vary more by cutting size than the floc multiplier.

I don't have a ton of experience with varying the floc multiplier; I usually only use 6 or 3, occasionally a 3.5 (for caerphilly), and that's been it.  Others probably have more info.

Stinky

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 06:24:16 AM »
You'll find there's some variation even within the categories of hard or semi-hard and even somewhat similar cheese from the sameregion. I normally just look up a couple of recipes, double check what they do differently, and use that floc factor, adjusting if I need to.

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 02:50:17 AM »
Here is how I use the floc method - hope it helps

Float a small sterilised bowl in the milk.  What we are watching for is a change in behaviour in the movement of the bowl from the time you first add the rennet.  You will need a stopwatch for this activity. Add the rennet.  Now, some say to start timing from the instant you add the rennet but, I start timing after I have finished stirring the rennet.  Stir the rennet for the appropriate time – usually 1 minute.  Note the time, this is important in the final calculation and start the stop watch
Give the bowl a little tap sideways and note how it moves freely.
Now, as the curd mass develops this movement amount will change.  Check the movement in 5 minutes, there should not be much change, maybe a little. Check in 2 minutes and if no change check in two minutes.  What we are waiting for is the movement of the bowl to be arrested by the matrix forming underneath.  This will indicate that the enzymes in the rennet are linking all the molecules of milk together. 
Check in two minutes. If no change continue waiting but, start noting the time now in 30 second intervals until when you tap the bowl just wobbles and doesn’t move across the surface of the milk as when you first started.   What we are trying for is this movement to stop in around 9 to 14 minutes.  What we are working towards is determining when to cut the curd as there is a direct relationship between the cutting time, the curd cutting size and the moisture of the finished cheese.   Note the time in minutes and seconds.  This is the Flocculation time.  The next step is to apply a multiplier to this elapsed time.  Each type of cheese is a little different.  The following is a guide to some of the cheeses and their multipliers.
2 - 2.5 Swiss, Alpine, Grana, Montasio - Cutting to rice size
2.5 - 3 Gruyere, Reggianito, Morlacco, Parrano, Reypenaer- Cutting to rice size
3 Caerphilly, Tomme, Parmesan, Wensleydale, Mozzarella, Gouda, Port Salut, Manchego, Beaufort, Ossau-Iraty, Munster, Oka, Kashkaval. Cutting to pea size
3 - 3.5 Chedar, Hard British Scandinavian, Kashar, Mozzarella, Provolone, Butterkase, Dunlop, Morbier - Cutting to Pea size
3.5 - 4 Monterey Jack, Lancashire, Butterkase, Havarti, Reblochon, Morbier
4 Gouda, Mozzarella, Feta, Blue Cheese, Reblochon, Form D’Ambert, Bryndza, Garrotxa - Cutting between pea to hazelnut size
5 - 6 Brie, Camembert, Stilton, Crottin de Chavignol, Coulommier - Cutting to walnut size or ladle
Take the elapsed time and multiply by the figure for your cheese.  For example say the movement stopped after 11 minutes and in this case we are making a Caerphilly – has a multiplier of 3 = 33 minutes.  Now add the number of minutes to the recorded rennet adding time say 9:30 am 9:30 + 33 minutes = 10:03am.  This is the time you cut the curd.  I check normally for a clean break as well at this time – just to be sure and if it is still a little mushy I’ll give it another 2-3 minutes.
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !