Author Topic: Traveling with cheese.  (Read 4483 times)

keepitlow

Traveling with cheese.
« on: June 22, 2009, 11:26:57 AM »

How long can commercial cheese be left out while traveling? Say some gouda or jarlsberg. Can you eat it after no refrigeration at 75 to 80 degrees for 2 or 3 days?

wharris

Re: Traveling with cheese.
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 05:18:50 PM »
I think you would be fine.  If there is some mold growth, or dried out sections, you may choose to trim the affected area.

smelly

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 01:45:08 AM »
Haha, use caution though crossing customs.  For example, this one time ... crossing the border between Canada and the US I brought hard commercial cheese. That's fine, totally legal.  But after a few hours, the hard cheese was soft cheese.  So that's not totally legal, as I learned in an interrogation room.  I advise friends not to risk traveling internationally with any cheese after that learning experience.  Jess 

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 03:32:07 AM »
Goodness they didn't know the difference I guess. Maybe bring a cooler next time!

tasteofcheese

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 08:15:18 PM »
Hi!!! Just try to keep one of those insulated lunchbox type things and some icepacks that you can throw in a freezer before you travel and the cheese should stay fine for a couple days! Cheese is supposed to be eaten at room temp anyways.

Tomer1

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 12:08:16 PM »
It will likely start to ozz butter fat at these temps.