Author Topic: Looking for a good "Aged Gouda" Recipe  (Read 2170 times)

AeonSam

Looking for a good "Aged Gouda" Recipe
« on: February 23, 2017, 12:38:35 AM »
Hello All,

I've been searching around and have a difficult time finding a recipe that's specific for Aged Gouda. I've not yet made any kind of Gouda so maybe I'm showing my ignorance but I need directions for the aged version. The best Gouda's that I have had are the 5 year old. These are out of stock right now (probably have to wait 5 more years). Should I just make a regular recipe and try to dry it up or can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Sam

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
Re: Looking for a good "Aged Gouda" Recipe
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 04:40:49 PM »
Sam, you have asked the very question I was planning to ask! After trying the fabulous aged Gouda from Murrays that you sent me ... wow, simply incredible.

I have only recently, in my last couple of Gouda makes, succeeded in getting results that are on target. Early on I tried Gouda a few times, and I always got results that were crumbly and more like a semi-cheddar in taste. (Tasty cheese, but not Gouda.) Turns out I was leaving the cheese in the press too long, allowing the cheese to get too acidic. It was quite some time after I got a pH meter that I tried making another Gouda, and I discovered, when I tested the cheese as it pressed, that it hit the target of ~5.3 far, far faster than I would have expected - while the washing "resets" the pH by way of dilution, and presumably has some effect on the rate of acidification by way of reducing the lactose, my experience suggests that washing doesn't necessarily prevent the cheese from acidifying far too much. But when I put the cheese in the brine at ~5.3, I got a smooth, flexible, mild cheese - Gouda!

I've since made another Gouda, but it still has some ways to go in aging just to be a regular Gouda - and I don't think it would be a good candidate for long aging, because it came out relatively high in moisture. Like you, I'm guessing that one of the keys to a long-aged Gouda will be to aim for a rather dry curd. This would suggest shorter flocc, smaller cut, longer stirring, higher heat (though can't get too high, since this is mesophilic) - all while making sure the pH doesn't get out of hand.

If anyone has made aged Gouda, or has a recipe specifically for it, here's at least two of us (Sam and I) who would love to see it!
-- Andy

AeonSam

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 09:06:14 PM »
Andy,

So the Gouda recipe that you gave me has a 5.3 target pH?  I've found it to be true also that the butterkase recipe I use - acidifies much quicker than the caerphilly which is counter-intuitive but my intuition has limited info :)

Sam

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 09:42:01 PM »
There is nothing special about the "recipe" for an aged Gouda. Just make Gouda and age it as long as you desire.

AeonSam

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 11:03:40 PM »
Ha!

That probably explains why I can't find a recipe for it.

Sam

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 01:04:25 AM »
Sailor, have you aged a Gouda out for 3+ years? Any comment on the thought of trying for a drier version to facilitate the longer aging?
-- Andy

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 02:51:26 PM »
I have some 5 year old Gouda that is spectacular - VERY nutty flavor. AND it is still a very pliable cheese that is easy to slice. Aging & drying are 2 different things. Granted, when a cheese loses moisture it concentrates the flavor somewhat, but it's the enzymes that really age a cheese. You don't have to let a cheese dry rock hard in order to get a nice aged flavor.

BTW the #1 Gouda in the world in competition is made by Margaret at Glenngarry Cheese in Canada - from fully pasteurized milk.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2017, 04:32:29 PM »
Thanks! I'll have to go back and do some digging - my understanding was that longer aged cheeses had to be drier - not sure if I read that in one of the books, or ??
-- Andy

AeonSam

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2017, 08:21:26 PM »
Thanks Sailor!

I really appreciate the info.

Sam

Offline botanist

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
  • Default personal text
    • CalOakGoats
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2017, 08:26:52 PM »
I have some 5 year old Gouda that is spectacular - VERY nutty flavor. AND it is still a very pliable cheese that is easy to slice. Aging & drying are 2 different things. Granted, when a cheese loses moisture it concentrates the flavor somewhat, but it's the enzymes that really age a cheese. You don't have to let a cheese dry rock hard in order to get a nice aged flavor.

BTW the #1 Gouda in the world in competition is made by Margaret at Glenngarry Cheese in Canada - from fully pasteurized milk.

Sailor, do you happen to know what her cultures are?
before goats, store bought milk = chevre & feta, with goats, infinite possibilities, goatie love, lotta work cleaning out the barn!

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2017, 08:40:47 PM »
Trade secret.  ;)