Author Topic: Aging triple creme after tasting it?  (Read 1293 times)

olive

Aging triple creme after tasting it?
« on: February 24, 2017, 03:20:07 AM »
This is my first go at making a triple cream cheese.  I used MM100 and Geotrichium Candidum. I have a great white mold going. It's been 3 weeks since I made the cheese and I could feel the sides softening so I just had to open one of the wheels to taste it.  Being a newbie, I didn't have many forms so I made my wheels in different sizes based on the few forms I had. I opened my smallest tonight because I had to know how the flavor was developing.  It's decent - softening and creamy under the rind, and firm/crumbly in the middle which I *think* is what I expect at this stage. But now my question is, can I continue to age that wheel that I've already eaten a quarter of? If I wrap it and stick it back in my aging cave, will that just work? Or should I just eat the whole thing now and be done with it, knowing that I have 3 more waiting for the future?  I'd rather age it more, but I'll eat it if I have to. :)

Also, most of the recipes I've seen, suggest to wrap the cheese in special cheese paper for the final part of the aging process, and reduce the temperature to approx 40 degrees F.  Do you need to do that or can you leave the cheese in your aging cave (in my case, in tupperware inside a small wine fridge) as long as you lower the temperature?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 03:49:49 AM by olive »

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
Re: Aging triple creme after tasting it?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 04:25:47 AM »
I refuse to believe the old story that a cam/Brie type cheese once cut will not age out and get runny

I think that is in relation to today's modern store bought  soft cheeses here in the USA that are curd stabilized ( yes its true there is no santa clause )  they just never get runny period.

I would cut it so that the 2 halves fit  together then wrap it so that they are held tight to each other.

No you do not have to wrap and move to colder environment , cheese was invented a  long time before  the fridge.

One steady temp of 55 or so degrees should work with the correct cultures.  If how ever you notice slip,skin starting wrap and get it colder.

Some of today's cultures are isolated and give benifits at the cost of other things.

The older grey version of the rind developer on cams ages out quite well with out wrapping or cold storage .

but it sure is ugly compared to the beautiful white of modern cultures.  And a completely different taste .

Sometimes if I made too many cheeses i will pop some in the fridge to delay their ripening

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 04:52:18 PM »
I agree with Gregore on every count.

I've cut more than one cam prematurely and wrapped it back up to finish ripening, with success. Note that if you wrap it, you should be using special paper or foil specifically made for ripening bloomies - it breathes, but also regulates the moisture. But I would assume you could keep it in the ripening box instead. The only thing that may be a problem is that, as much as you've cut out, as it does continue to develop you may get the runny middle oozing out of the stable rind - this is why Gregore has suggested arranging it so that you put two halves together (or at least, that's why I would suggest the same thing). But with a quarter of it gone, this may be a challenge. If you have some of the ripening paper, you can cut the cheese and wrap it so that the paper helps to hold the paste in the rind.

One other comment - yes, the texture you describe sounds just right. I always have to restrain myself when the cams start to feel a bit squishy, knowing that there is still a ways to go ... but really, when to eat it is a matter of, well, taste. :) I like to start on the first of a batch of cams when it gets to the point that there is still about 1/3 of the paste as a crumbly core in the middle, with soft/runny paste around it. (After making quite a few batches, I now can mostly tell, from how it feels on the outside, how far along it is on the inside.) By the time I finish eating the last of the batch, that one is generally runny all the way through. The taste changes throughout this time, and I like it all the way through the range.
-- Andy

olive

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 12:51:39 AM »
Thank you both!  Great advice. Next time I'll definitely cut it differently so I can stick it back together easier.  I do have the special ripening paper, however my little wine fridge that I'm using for my cave doesn't go below 50, so I've stuck my cheese in my fridge as I would like to slow down the ripening process.

The problem I'm encountering is that my family thinks my cheese smells like a diaper and they complain every time the fridge is opened. They're worried it will taint the rest of the food in the fridge with the cheese funk.  Is a "diaper-ish" smell bad?  I was brave enough to taste, and it tasted good but does smell strong at first.  If that is normal, does the smell fade?  They want me to put it in smell proof glass containers, but I understood that it needs to breathe?

Thanks!

SOSEATTLE

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 02:11:29 AM »
I make a lot of bloomies and never wrap in paper. In fact, don't even own any. I leave in ripening boxes the whole time the cheeses age.

Yes, the smell is completely normal and I wouldn't say that it really fades, may even get stronger  :P.

Susan

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 05:43:09 AM »
You can continue the wedge cut all the way to,the other end of the cheese but not through the rind then use the rind like a hinge to put the 2 halves back together .

Do,you mean dirty diaper smell like , urine ( ammonia ) or like dirty feet mixed with barn yard smells?

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 01:00:46 AM »
My wife complains about the bloomy smells while they are still in the 50° cave ... but after they are wrapped and go into the cold refrigerator, they don't seem to smell, or at least she doesn't complain about them at that point.

By the way, Olive, we neglected to say: welcome to the forum!
-- Andy

olive

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 05:30:42 AM »
Thanks for the welcome Andy! I've been poring over old messages from these forums over the last couple days and I'm starting to think my "stink" is because I used Geotrichium Candidum (as its all I had on hand at the time).  I gather it may be a funkier.  The smell is not ammonia, but my husband and son both think it smells like "farts".  They definitely want me to get it out of the communal fridge quickly. :) I do think though that it's less stinky today than it was 2 days ago, so it's either getting better or I'm going nose deaf.

I only have an old small 8 bottle wine fridge at the moment that doesn't go below 52, so I may have to find something else to suit my needs.  I'm fantasizing about dual zone beverage fridges where one side goes down to at least 40. 

Thanks also Gregore for your suggestion of how to re-cut and wrap it.  That makes tons of sense and I'll do it asap.