Author Topic: Sour Brick. New recipe  (Read 1144 times)

DoctorCheese

Sour Brick. New recipe
« on: February 24, 2017, 03:54:14 AM »
I got the idea to make this cheese while I was eating some of my B linens cheese alongside my buttermilk Butterkase and thought the sourness of the buttermilk flavor would balance out the bacteria taste of linens; sort of like adding lemon to fish or something similar.  What I ended up doing was combining thermophilic type B and a half liter of cultured buttermilk; adjunct culture of b linens added with plans to develop a red rind. I cooked the curds and pressed them in the hopes of a firm tangy cheese. Updates will come ones the red develops.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 04:00:28 AM by DoctorCheese »

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
Re: Sour Brick. New recipe
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 04:54:22 PM »
Part of the fun of making one's own cheese is the chance to experiment! :) How high a temperature did you cook to?
-- Andy

DoctorCheese

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 05:57:47 PM »
Part of the fun of making one's own cheese is the chance to experiment! :) How high a temperature did you cook to?
Around 103-108 for an hour with stirring.

DoctorCheese

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 06:41:48 PM »
My only regret is that I do not own any yeasts or molds that raise the PH of the rind so that linens can grow. I am basically relying on luck. I did not add any to my last linens cheeses and they turned out so I am optimistic.

AnnDee

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 04:53:10 AM »
If you put geo, that should be enough to increase PH on the surface or go for more acid loving b linens strain. :)

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 05:36:13 AM »
Both geo and linens are wild , and pretty much everywhere , though it seems some areas have more than others judging by some of the issues members have had over the years.

If you keep it wet enough in the first week you will get geo , then if you want linens keep it slightly moist for the second week  into the third based of how fast it is taking off .

DoctorCheese

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 01:47:34 AM »
UpdateI cut this cheese today because my vacuum sealer arrived and I wanted to give it a try. Also, because of over growth of geo on the sides that are always exposed there started to be some over ripe areas. The cheese tastes as expected and as planned (yipee). The linens did eventually come in a bit and through some combination of flora turned the rind a cool beige color. However, it is far too mild for my taste and needs a serious attitude adjustment in the form of a month or two in solitary. Hopefully the paste develops and the vacuum bag stops any more linens or geo development.

Unfortunately, I found that the paste was rather crumbly! Why do you suppose that is cheese people?

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 02:57:50 AM »
Crumbly is usually acid dropped too low .

The cheese looks go though