Author Topic: Alpine Cheese Molds for Pressing  (Read 2255 times)

Offline nccheesemike

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 35
  • Default personal text
Alpine Cheese Molds for Pressing
« on: February 24, 2017, 02:20:08 PM »
After making a true Alpine Cheese last weekend I am wondering about mold shapes for pressing. I've been making 2lb Cheeses and use the SS mold I got with my press. Traditional Alpine cheeses seem to be wider than tall. I'm wondering are there any ideas or sources for a mold for alpine cheeses available? I know I will make more Alpine but wondered how others get a wider than higher press mold. Much thanks!!

Mike

tashad

Re: Alpine Cheese Molds for Pressing
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 03:46:25 PM »
Check out tomme molds.  I think they have the shape you're looking for.  Although, the ones I have are a bit big for a 2lb cheese, I think.  They're about 7.5" in diameter, the cheese might come out a bit thin.  When I'm working with 2 gallons of milk I generally use a mold that is 6" in diameter, and is taller than wide, but the cheese comes out wider than tall.

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 04:50:27 PM »
A true alpine cheese is like, what 25/30 lb?
I have tried to make 5/6 lb emental/swiss/alpine style cheese' they were good but not a true Alp.
So the home cheese maker can only hit on his own alpine style that he (or she) and friends enjoy,
Make it, eat it, enjoy it
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 06:13:28 PM »
I believe the Emmentaler are molded at 200 pounds.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

AnnDee

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 06:42:19 PM »

Also Comte from what I read, they must be using a machine or some sort to flip the cheese.

After making a true Alpine Cheese last weekend I am wondering about mold shapes for pressing. I've been making 2lb Cheeses and use the SS mold I got with my press. Traditional Alpine cheeses seem to be wider than tall. I'm wondering are there any ideas or sources for a mold for alpine cheeses available? I know I will make more Alpine but wondered how others get a wider than higher press mold.

For home cheese maker like us, maybe you can use wooden ring mould with strap, take a look here.

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 07:53:58 AM »
 i do not know enough of what really goes on inside of a cheese chemically when the magic XXXX happens but I would assume that what makes an alpine cheese an alpine all started with how much protien and solids were in the milk because of the spring and summer grasses that only had a 3 or 4 month window  thus they were so rich.

And thus the cheese makers made the best of what they had , thus the size and recipe.

I think a tomme is some what an mountain cheese but not cooked and  more cave ripened so a lot different in taste , so one is left to wonder , is the change in recipe more about area it is made or the milk .

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Stinky

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2017, 09:03:29 PM »
Do whatever you can with what you have to achieve the specific height-to-width ration that your cheese traditionally has for maximum profit.

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2017, 08:21:10 PM »
My Bad
WOW didn't miss that by to far now did I  :o
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2017, 03:28:24 PM »
I was thinking about this height width relationship a little more ,

My thought is  that they probably tried going thicker a long time ago and did not like the effect on taste or how it aged so stopped at a certain thickness thus molds that control height but not diameter . Also in the past one needed to eat the cheese that winter to survive , so hieght was set for aging out in that time frame.

A wider cheese of a set thickness still ages the same  time  as one that is less wide ,as long as  the width does not fall below double the height .

So I am guessing that for the moisture level of a alpine cheese , that thickness it optimal for aging time and flavor