Author Topic: Buffalo Milk Mutschli  (Read 1296 times)

AnnDee

Buffalo Milk Mutschli
« on: February 25, 2017, 09:14:12 AM »
I made Mutschli few times now with Alpkaserei's recipe on his Mutschli post but around 6-7 weeks back I tried making it with buffalo milk because a very generous farmer has sent 60 litres of buffalo milk and I surely couldn't convert all into mozzarella.
Now buffalo milk is quite thick and fatty and also has a different smell, it smelled strongly like fresh sugar cane juice among other things. To mask that I put a generous amount of herbs to the milk. I had a high yield of 3.2 kgs (7lbs) from 20L of milk.
Now the taste....
It was quite different than cow's milk Mutschli I made before, this one was quite rich with some 'grassy' aftertaste, I cannot quite point it out but I think I need some time getting used to the taste. The texture is really good, flexible with some small eyes.
My daughter, on the other hand, thought this was wonderful. She said it tasted like beef/meat.

Offline nccheesemike

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 35
  • Default personal text
Re: Buffalo Milk Mutschli
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 12:40:11 PM »
Beautiful cheese wheel AnnDee! Love how the cheese curls too. I hope aging gets you to the taste you'd like to have. I've never had that style of cheese or one made with Buffalo Milk

Mike

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 03:09:28 PM »
Nice cheese ....... is that 2 cheese caves I see in the background ? He asks enviously

DoctorCheese

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 04:59:12 PM »
Cool, beef flavored cheese hehe

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 06:15:56 PM »
I was a little disappointed in that first stacked pic because the cheese was in shadow, but the pic with the curl redeemed it. Nice clear pic. You didn't say what the herbs were.

Good looking cheese, Ann. Have a cheese.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

AnnDee

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 06:58:57 PM »
Beautiful cheese wheel AnnDee! Love how the cheese curls too. I hope aging gets you to the taste you'd like to have. I've never had that style of cheese or one made with Buffalo Milk
Thank you Mike. I hope so too. I don't think I will make it with buffalo milk anymore though.

Nice cheese ....... is that 2 cheese caves I see in the background ? He asks enviously
Lol yes Gregore, I got a good deal on 2 local large chillers.

I was a little disappointed in that first stacked pic because the cheese was in shadow, but the pic with the curl redeemed it. Nice clear pic. You didn't say what the herbs were.
Thank you Boofer :)
I put a mix herbs of Marjoram, Taragon, Thyme, and a little oregano. The cheese smells wonderful of the herbs now but the after taste is bugging me and it seems I am the only one tasting it. Maybe I will try grilling it tomorrow and see how it is.

AnnDee

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 02:53:44 AM »
I used the Mutschli for a Raclette dinner 2 nights ago. It was yummy! The herbs in the cheese crackled and toasted from the heat, it smelled really amazing. No more weird after taste, melted really well too.
My daughter said it tasted like pepperoni  ;D

Here are some pictures from our dinner, sorry they are blurry, I had to take screenshots from a video.