Author Topic: Wild P candidum harvesting?  (Read 2272 times)

DoctorCheese

Wild P candidum harvesting?
« on: February 25, 2017, 08:06:53 PM »
I am currently aging my Red White and Blue cheese that has grown some wild what I assume is P Candidum. This gave me a crazy idea to harvest some of it and try to make a white mold ripened cheese! Any ideas of how reasonable this is? I plan to do it tomorrow so if anyone who sees this has input please don't hold back.

Vnature

Re: Wild P candidum harvesting?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 04:35:06 AM »
I did it a couple of times. I cut off a piece of bloomy brie rind and rubbed the new cheese with it. It works pretty well but I am not sure I could harvest only PC because PC and GEO often grow together. Experiments is the best part of cheesemaking imho.  :D So good luck in your research :D

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 07:30:55 AM »
Where is Linuxboy  or sailor when you need them .

I wonder what is the safest way to isolate this and culture it ?  Assuming it is wild and not an escaped fugitive from your cultures.

DoctorCheese

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 07:53:11 AM »
Where is Linuxboy  or sailor when you need them .

I wonder what is the safest way to isolate this and culture it ?  Assuming it is wild and not an escaped fugitive from your cultures.
I have never had any candidums or geotrichum before, so I know it is wild. Unless my rougeforti cultures I bought were contaminated by the manufacturer.

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 07:58:39 AM »
I hope you let us know what the taste is as you could have something very nice . And thus would feel,the over welling urge to share said culture with your known and un known cheese making friends through  out the worl

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 03:11:51 PM »
This gave me a crazy idea to harvest some of it and try to make a white mold ripened cheese! Any ideas of how reasonable this is?

I do NOT recommend wild harvest of any mold or bacteria. The chances of contamination is not worth saving a few bucks.