Author Topic: Question on Hot water washing techniques  (Read 2979 times)

AeonSam

Question on Hot water washing techniques
« on: February 26, 2017, 03:09:51 PM »
Hello All,

I've been trying a few washed curd recipes lately and I have been encountering difficulties performing these directions and I wanted to see how others tackled this issue.

The latest recipe a friend shared with me says to ripen the milk to 90F then, after removing 1 gallon of water - pour 150F water in over the course of 10 minutes to achieve a 101F temp. So there's a 60 degree difference in the water but I need to raise it 11 degrees within 10 minutes and pour the whole gallon in. I was unable to accomplish this last night. My temp went up to 108.

I have other recipes that are similar. Can anyone explain how they do this correctly and also tell me why we're doing this? I understand that replacing curds with water removes the lactose and gives the cultures less to work with, but what is the objective in using hot water vs cold water vs the same temp water?

Thanks!

Sam

Duntov

Re: Question on Hot water washing techniques
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 03:44:27 PM »
Hello Sam.  The objective is to bring your temp up slowly without going over the 101F mark.  You want to replace the same amount as the amount you have taken out by volume.  The 150 degree water is a ballpark number.  If your whey is getting too hot too fast, add some cool water to your 150F water to reduce the temp before adding more into the make.  Basically, you are 'chasing' the 101F temp and it is not a perfect science.

AeonSam

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 03:49:16 PM »
Hello Sam.  The objective is to bring your temp up slowly without going over the 101F mark.  You want to replace the same amount as the amount you have taken out by volume.  The 150 degree water is a ballpark number.  If your whey is getting too hot too fast, add some cool water to your 150F water to reduce the temp before adding more into the make.  Basically, you are 'chasing' the 101F temp and it is not a perfect science.

Thanks Duntov, so do I need to rigidly stick to the 10 minute window that the directions give me? That's the part that makes it difficult.

Duntov

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 03:58:49 PM »
Not sure what type of cheese you are making but if it calls for 10 minutes then try to hold to that time.  Some Cheddars call for the temperature to increase over 45 minutes or so.  In your case, try using 140F water next time.

AeonSam

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 04:30:59 PM »
Duntov,

It was a Gouda recipe. Thanks for the info.

Duntov

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 04:47:07 PM »
FYI - from a Gouda recipe I have for a six gallon make:

"Remove 1/3 of the whey, then add water at 130 F over 15 min. for a final temp of 98-102. (Higher temp for drier longer aging cheese). This is a very important step since it also removes some of the lactose or milk sugars which can be converted to acid by the lactic bacteria."

AeonSam

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 10:54:59 PM »
John,

I see now that that's your name :) Would you be willing to share the recipe? I can only make 2 gallons at the moment though.

Sam

Duntov

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2017, 11:07:48 PM »

AeonSam

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2017, 11:13:22 PM »
Thanks John,

Have you had good results with this one? Have you aged any for more than a year?

Duntov

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2017, 11:28:56 PM »
I started making Gouda not too long ago.  I opened one up young and it was okay.  I have two more in the cave that will age much longer but I really can't give you an honest critique yet.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2017, 12:48:02 AM »
I can only make 2 gallons at the moment though.

ripen the milk to 90F then, after removing 1 gallon of water - pour 150F water in over the course of 10 minutes

Sam, there's the answer - the recipe you are following must be based on a larger make, probably 4 gallons. You need to remove whey as a ratio of the total milk volume - 1/4 of the total volume, if my guess on the make size is correct. Based on the two quotes above, it sounds like you removed 1/2 of the total volume, and for that ratio, it is not surprising that adding that much 150° water back brought the temperature too high. Try removing 1/2 gallon of whey next time (=1/4 of the 2 gallon volume), or, as John says, change the temperature of the water you add.

Always something to learn ... :)
-- Andy

Duntov

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2017, 12:59:34 AM »
Good catch Andy!  Your suggestion of removing less whey is the proper course of action.  If too much whey is replaced it will have a dramatic impact on the proper acidity of the cheese.

AeonSam

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2017, 03:16:56 AM »
Andy,

I just realized that this was the problem and sent it to you on a pm right before I came onto the forum! That's one adaptation that I wasn't looking at. I only thought of the cultures and the rennet but it makes sense about the heat and water volume.

Thanks  :P

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2017, 12:19:25 AM »
Have you aged any for more than a year?
An example.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

AeonSam

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2017, 01:00:12 AM »
Nice looking Cheese!

Thanks for sharing that.

Sam