Author Topic: Amazingly useful chart for starter cultures and adjuncts!  (Read 1967 times)

DoctorCheese

Amazingly useful chart for starter cultures and adjuncts!
« on: February 28, 2017, 02:17:58 AM »
linkI can't remember where I found this on here, but it is by far the most useful cheese culture chart I have come across. Want to know what culture goes in to which cheeses? Look no further. There are some missing details that I hope some of you people may be willing to help fill out more. I will make this google sheets document able to be commented on by anyone with the link.

I think it would be fantastic if this could become a project that lots of people contributed to because it is really nice for a beginner who is interested in what culture to purchase or who wants to look in to some cheeses they maybe haven't heard of. I for one will be utilizing this very regularly. Please feel free to add in new material (which will show up as a comment to be approved). I am very excited about this! If anyone knows who the original content producer is, let me know please so I can thank them.  ;D

DoctorCheese

Re: Amazingly useful chart for starter cultures and adjuncts!
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 02:21:31 AM »
Additionally, if you are uncomfortable with messing with the document, but want to suggest something, feel free to private message me.

DoctorCheese

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 11:34:22 PM »
I provided the link  ::)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 07:46:07 PM »
Jobe, did you create this sheet? If so, very challenging effort. So much variation and personalization that can occur.

Taleggio and Reblochon are bloomies? Where's the washed rind section?

Where are Kazu, Alp D?

What is "crème"? Do you mean "cream"?

It's "Cheddar".

This sheet may lend the wrong direction to promising cheese makers.

Sorry, just some questions that popped up. I missed this the first time.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

DoctorCheese

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 08:03:08 PM »
No I did not make it, yes it is a work in progress from somewhere on this forum that I found late at night. There are obvious errors in it, however there are more non-errors I believe. It looks like whoever made the original did include washed rinds under bloomies. Boofer, When I originally posted this, I was really hoping that some of the more experienced people on here would jump on board and help me flesh it out so that it is accurate and very useful. However, no one ever said anything until very recently so it has sat unattended to. If you want to help make it better with suggestions, simply go on the google doc and make the alterations. It should turn them in to suggestions to be approved.

Kern

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 01:13:42 AM »
Herr Doktor:  A cheese for your efforts in locating and publishing this chart.  I agree with Boofer's comments.  Still, things like this are handy.   :)