I do not own P. candidum spores. So imagine my excitement when I found some wild candidum growing on my "The American"
cheese! My logic is that if the mold is growing on one of my cheese, and I plan to eat it anyway, why not make a cheese with it? It was specifically told to me not
to do this; the worry being that harvesting a wild mold could put my cheese at risk for contamination. Maybe I should be more worried than I am, but anyway I ended up proceeding with the plan.
As you can see, the mold I managed to get off is a veritable smorgasbord of molds
and who knows what else. I followed a recipe for rennet surface ripened Camembert style cheese, but replaced the candidum in the recipe with my harvested hodgepodge
. My hypothesis is that the difference in size, salt level, and RH will lead to different microflora growing differently on each cheese. Time will tell!
(I am estimating there to be at minimum 4 different microflora in my adjunct harvest: P. candidum, P. rogueforti, B. linens, and Geotrichum. Also, I did not get as much material as I expected so it's possible that nothing grows and I end up with.... well who knows what it would be called at that point. The moldy cheese is the one I rubbed the outside of to get my harvest.)