Author Topic: Stilton #5  (Read 2825 times)

nym

Stilton #5
« on: March 03, 2017, 07:22:49 PM »
I'm persevering with blue cheeses and my attempt at Stilton number 5 is my most promising yet.

The make and rubbing down went well and I've been aging the cheese in a small fridge which varies between 8-14 degrees C (which I realise is not ideal but is the best that I can do).
The final picture shows the cheese at one month and, although it may not be obvious in the picture, the outside of the cheese is quite moist (even slimy) and is not drying out as I had hoped. I'm taking it out of the fridge and airing it for about an hour each day but I'm not seeing any improvement. The cheese itself feels quite firm so I'm optimistic that things are OK inside - just worried about what's happening on the outside.
Any suggestions?

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
Re: Stilton #5
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 08:40:51 PM »
Not to worry ;)
Just keep airing it out as you are, it will do just fine.
how high is the humidity in your cave, that could be a problem.
If I remember right I think mine stayed  85 to 95% , airing it once a day brought out a nice rind.
this looks really good to me so keep doing what your doing and keep us posted
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

Duntov

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 11:46:59 PM »
I don't see any wrinkling on the rind so the curds were not too wet.  Try reducing the humidity and airing out as suggested.  And AC4Y for your persistence!

DoctorCheese

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 11:52:50 PM »
That looks like a good cheese to me! I am new to cheese making so funky rinds still scare me a little bit, but yours looks fine in my noobie eyes. AC4U for the good work your putting in.

Offline nccheesemike

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 35
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 03:02:34 AM »
Nice cheese

nym

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 01:08:12 PM »
The problem really isn't apparent on the photo and I'm concerned because although Stiltons #1-#4 have had a selection of issues, none of them have exhibited this 'sliminess'. The slightest touch seems to rub off the rind and expose the paste beneath (hence the 'bald' patches).
The humidity in the little fridge is nothing like 90%. I try to increase humidity by draping a damp paper towel over the shelf. I think that it's around 70-75% most of the time. The cheese itself is in a plastic box with the lid loosely laid on top. I'll carry on airing, maybe for a little longer each day, and see how things progress.

Many thanks for the cheeses. In celebration of having of having reached a total of six cheeses I've decided that I need an avatar. It's  a picture of my home city   ;D

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2017, 03:40:16 PM »
It looks like quite a nice little cheese .

If you are concerned about the surface moisture try wrapping  a dish towel around the circumference for a day or 2  if the towel comes off damp then it was too wet and needed it .  Paper towels also work just as well .  You can also sit it on a towel then flip for the top and bottom .

I do this with my  lactic acid set cheeses after  demolding to take out that last bit of surface moisture to control skin slip .

nym

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2017, 05:01:54 PM »
Stilton #5 is now approaching two months old and it is three weeks since I posted the pictures.

For most of the first week after posting I followed the advice suggested - airing the cheese for an hour daily and standing it on a paper towel. There wasn't much improvement. It still felt slimy and the rind was very fragile. But neither did it get any worse...

I then had to go away. My husband aired the cheese for a period of a few days when he was able to, but it certainly had periods of several days without being aired at all.

I've returned today and looked at my cheese for the first time in over two weeks and it has undergone a transformation - but not in a good way. I assume the orange colour is B. linens? It smells slightly unpleasant but not like a 'stinky' cheese smells (which I don't actually find unpleasant at all). And it is very moist.

Can anything be done to rescue my cheese? I was hoping to keep it going to three months but now I'm wondering if I should just cut it and see what's happened inside.

Duntov

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2017, 06:59:34 PM »
I don't see a problem.  Real Stiltons do have orange rinds.  Is the rind dry?

nym

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2017, 07:36:57 PM »
Thank you Duntov! Perhaps there is still hope.
The rind is very damp and rubs off at the slightest touch to expose the paste beneath. Daily airing for an hour didn't seem to be improving things very much, but as I explained, the daily airing has been erratic recently.
The cheese is in a small fridge in a plastic box with the lid loosely placed on top. Humidity in the fridge is around 70-75% but I imagine that it would be higher in the box? The fridge temperature varies between 8-14 degrees C.
I suppose that you are right. Stiltons DO have elements of orange in the rind. But can anybody advise me on how to encourage the rind to dry out?

Frodage4

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2017, 01:52:56 AM »
Hi Nym,
The original photo looks great. The orange one isn't too unusual. I wonder if the curds were still really quite wet when you removed it from the mould. That could explain why your cheese is always moist. Have you tried storing it at room temperature? It would likely be at lower humidity than in the fridge...

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2017, 06:22:39 AM »
I think the blinens will not hurt the flavor too much , and certainly not make it unedible .

But I think it needs some wrapping in Paper towel with it changed as soon as it wets through . Maybe a few days of this , it should help keep it stable until time to open.  D I do not think you can reverse blinens once you have it .

And I agree with nym. It was probably too wet in the curd stage

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2017, 03:47:23 PM »
Because you have it stored in a plastic box, you are creating a micro-climate with much higher humidity than the rest of the refrigerator. Try leaving the lid off for a few days, or even remove from the box altogether (sitting on a plastic grid), to dry out the rind. Monitor carefully, of course.
-- Andy

nym

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2017, 08:47:29 AM »
Thank you for all the advice.
For the last 24 hours I've had the cheese out of the fridge and sitting in a cool room. I've wrapped it in paper towel which I've changed 4 or 5 times during this period due to the amount of moisture that was drawn out.  I think that it's already looking better.
Wish I'd done this a month ago! We'll see..

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2017, 02:41:45 AM »
It all a learning process ,  I think there is a British blue cheese with a little blinens on it , so it should be fine .

Also blue is so overpowering in flavor nothing will compete . All your really worried about is keeping it together till it ready .