Author Topic: My First Swiss Cheese  (Read 1456 times)

Offline nccheesemike

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 35
  • Default personal text
My First Swiss Cheese
« on: March 04, 2017, 12:40:28 PM »
Back on Feb 20th I made my first Swiss Cheese. I used a Low Pasteurized non-homogenized milk from a local dairy.
Once I heated the milk 90 degrees, I added Thermophillic culture along with Propionic Shermanii culture.
Coagulated with rennet after 45 mins.
After cutting the curd 1/4 cubes I heated slowly to 120 degrees and held for 30 mins.
Drained curds and molded at pH of 6.40.
After pressing for 5 hours total time pH was 5.80.
Cheese was brined for 12 hours and placed in the cheese cave at 55 degrees and 80% humidity for 1 week
I removed cheese on Sunday and set on kitchen counter for last 6 days. The Prop Shermanii has bubbled out the top and bottom and misshaped the circle of the wheel. I'll let it sit another 3-4 days then back to the cave for 3 months. The cheese has changed color from a pristine white to yellowing. It has also taken on a "Swiss Cheese" aroma. Check the Video/Pics below. I will be making more Swiss it's a favorite cheese of mine.

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
Re: My First Swiss Cheese
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 03:31:39 PM »
Looks nice .

5.8 was a little high , but I think the effects will be minimal

Offline nccheesemike

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 06:39:14 PM »
Thank you Gregore!! I should say checking the wheel today I am at pH of 5.6. No complaints I've made a few being way low on pH and now see the effect it has on the Cheese.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 07:00:51 PM »
Good work, and AC4U. If I understood correctly, you let the rind develop for only a week before going to the warm phase; next time you might want to wait longer. I'm guessing the greater development of the rind may help the swelling to be more uniform and distributed - not sure if that's the reason, but the recipes I have followed have 3-4 weeks before going to the warm phase. (I've generally gone 3 weeks, with generally good results.)
-- Andy

Offline nccheesemike

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 07:26:15 PM »
Good work, and AC4U. If I understood correctly, you let the rind develop for only a week before going to the warm phase; next time you might want to wait longer. I'm guessing the greater development of the rind may help the swelling to be more uniform and distributed - not sure if that's the reason, but the recipes I have followed have 3-4 weeks before going to the warm phase. (I've generally gone 3 weeks, with generally good results.)

Andy,

Yes your read my post correctly. I did actually let the cheese rest and rind develop for only a week. I half questioned it when I took it out and figured I would learn if things went wrong. I learn something new with each cheese I make and I have improved in my questioning of the timing of recipe steps mostly involved with acid development. I will keep your time-frame in mind and let the cheese and rind develop longer before the warm phase begins next time. Thank you for the input!

Mike

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 09:25:25 PM »
Be sure not to rely only on my word! Others here have far more experience. I've not made as many swiss style as some other makes - 5 or so total, I think. The first two were very good, the next two were too strong, and the last one (currently in the consumption phase) has an excellent, nutty flavor but not quite the swiss taste that I was expecting. So I'm still very much on the journey with this make!
-- Andy