Author Topic: Goats' - Freshening  (Read 22162 times)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Goats' - Freshening
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2009, 01:31:59 AM »
I thought I remembered in cows the first few breeding didn't produce as good as later years. Maybe it was just the amount not the quality.

pamaples

« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2009, 03:31:10 AM »
So far all of my kids have been reserved before birth and picked up at our farm when they are a week old. When I have extra bucks I sell them for $25/ea on craigslist.

Nice!

susanne

« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2009, 04:13:32 AM »
christy i would love to see some of your goats.

cmharris6002

« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2009, 10:21:39 AM »
Susanne, I am sooo bad about getting pics which is why I don't have a web site and do local sales. My foundation stock if from Sara Koen-Walberg blissberry.com I bought Romance who was #8 on the Top Ten list last year and I have daughters out of Antigua, Robin, Fashion Show, and Tang. I have a Jr. buck out of Topaz and my Sr. buck is line bred on At Your Service. I have some nice 'no-name' does too that appraised 87,88,89 last year with V and E udders. Maybe I'll get some pics this spring :)

Christy

susanne

« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2009, 01:46:03 PM »
that sounds wonderful christy. i'm planning to use ACE A.I this fall.
are your girls milking as good as the production leader?

sorry for hitch hiking the thread

cmharris6002

« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2009, 02:02:42 PM »
Yes, they are milking up a storm just like their dams and can be difficult to dry up. Sara has mentored me and helped me tweak things to get full genetic potential out of my girls. She has done a lovely job getting E udders that hold up over time AND excel in milk production. She had 8 of the Top Ten Breed Leaders last year :o

I hope ACE Does as well for you as he has for me!! You have such a beautiful herd :D

Christy

susanne

« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2009, 04:15:50 PM »
thank you for the compliment christy.
i'm in kansas this weekend. i wish i would have more time for a visit ;)

cmharris6002

« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2009, 05:20:14 PM »
Oh, I would love to meet with you!!! If not this time maybe another time. Do you come to Kansas often?

Christy

susanne

« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2009, 05:38:23 PM »
this would be the first time. i'm visiting with gene beck from hyland nubians to pick up some semen ;) he has lots of saada animals too.
i'm sure this will not be the last time to go in this direction ;)

cmharris6002

« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2009, 06:20:08 PM »
How exciting!! That should work really well with your lines :) He is way south of me.

Christy

siegfriedw

« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2009, 01:24:08 AM »
"I have some nice 'no-name' does too that appraised 87,88,89 last year with V and E udders. Maybe I'll get some pics this spring"

Any goat in the high 80s on LA is VERY GOOD!

Teremc

« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2012, 05:30:27 PM »
We are new to goats and milking.  We have been buying goat milk to feed our bum lambs and they have done very well on it so are thinking of getting a milking goat for next season.  In the mean time I was given an older doe,Betty, who is 3 or 4 years old.  She hasnt had a kid in the two years she was owned by the person I got her from, however she has a large udder and has milk when you squeeze.  How is this possible?  I had someone tell me that goats dont need to be bred to have milk.  This seems very strange to me.  Could Betty still have milk from that long ago?  I would have thought she would have dried up by now.  What is "freshening" and why do you do it?

Dumb questions sorry