Author Topic: Mozzarella - Max Age?  (Read 1006 times)

DETECH

Mozzarella - Max Age?
« on: March 11, 2017, 06:06:55 AM »
I just stumbled onto this site and now you all have me thinking of getting into cheese making.  The stumble was when I was looking for an answer to if my old Mozzarella in the frig is going to kill me.  It was purchased at a  local factory here in Wisconsin about a year ago, maybe more, and was vacuum packed. We opened it today and it smelled fine and tasted great.  Not like Mozzarella I know of though. It was a little sharp or maybe like sharp Provolone. I liked it so well I may start buying my Mozzarella a year early. Or better yet, making my own and aging it. I've been working on this 1 pound chunk for a few days and haven't died yet.

So what is the limit on aging Mozzarella?

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
Re: Mozzarella - Max Age?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 06:20:53 AM »
Pretty much until it is too repulsive to eat . Sounds like your was a long way from that still .

But I would also add that I feel it is really not a mozza anymore after that long of ripening , I think there are a few aged stretched curd cheeses that it would be closer to.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
Re: Mozzarella - Max Age?
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 05:33:28 PM »
Detech, welcome to the forum!

I'd have to go back and check to be sure, but as I recall, provolone is basically just aged mozzarella - or at least if follows a very similar make protocol until it is hung up to drain and begin to age.
-- Andy