Author Topic: Cheater goat cheese  (Read 3476 times)

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
Cheater goat cheese
« on: March 16, 2017, 02:32:30 AM »
A few weeks ago I got the idea of using premade chèvre to start with a see how it would turn out if I added PC , so far so good , I will be opening at least 1 tomorrow night

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
Re: Cheater goat cheese
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 02:42:18 AM »
But this is my main baby that I have been working on  Chaource  a cows milk lactic set cheese .

I use the least amount of starter I can  1/32 of a tsp or so and the starter pictured here , it is really slow , usually taking about 7 hrs to drop to 6 , that's when I add the 3 drops of rennet per gallon  and then forget about it for at least 24 hrs . I like to see cracks in the sunken curd before I will start draining .

I also add PLA and PC Album 

I have 6 more of these just waiting to be eaten . They too are on the menu tomorrow

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 06:41:16 PM »
I'm not familiar with that starter - do you know what bacteria it includes?

The cheeses look good, and very interesting idea to re-purpose a [store-bought? if that's what you mean by pre-made?] cheese into something better!
-- Andy

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 04:12:17 AM »
Yes I bought a vacuum bagged goat cheese cut it into 3 pieces and sprayed it

I opened it and the chaource tonight , every one loved them . Sorry they all got eaten before the pic a could be taken . But I have more so I will try to get pics of those and post .

I do not remember what starters where in it , I got it from artisan geek , mainly becuase it was a very slow acidifier, when the web site comes back live I can look it up .

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 06:12:06 PM »
Yes, Yoav has been my go-to supplier, and I have been anxiously checking for a few weeks now to see if he is back to accepting orders. I am worried that I'm going to have to find a different supplier, since I'm starting to get low on a couple of things ... :(
-- Andy

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 05:06:46 AM »
I really can not understand why he shut down the site though it is going to kill him on google rankings , he would have been better off just having the store part turned off.

And usually when one gets busy , you do not shut the store , you hire a few temps . 

Duntov

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2017, 01:18:08 PM »
I'm not familiar with that starter - do you know what bacteria it includes?

The cheeses look good, and very interesting idea to re-purpose a [store-bought? if that's what you mean by pre-made?] cheese into something better!

Here is a datasheet on it:  http://medias.alliancepastorale.fr/documents/0800996_FT.pdf

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 04:58:37 AM »
Thanks , anyone able to translate ? I can pick up a few words , though not enough .

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 04:04:10 PM »
To me, the key words are in the "box" at the top - the specific bacteria included sound like something close to a Flora Danica type of blend.
-- Andy

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 02:59:37 AM »
The only thing I recall from the web site , and it is what intrigued me in the first place , was that it was very slow and had a few  of the more traditional cultures used on some of the old French cheeses in the past .