Author Topic: Pasteurizing Raw Milk  (Read 2138 times)

newbie001

Pasteurizing Raw Milk
« on: June 24, 2009, 01:23:27 AM »
I was wondering how many people pasteurize their raw milk? I have read many different things. Some say that if you use unpasteurized milk the cheese must be aged for at least 60 days. For fresher cheeses like feta, gouda, etc. do you pasteurize or risk it? When we made goat cheeses during my childhood, we always pasteurized but my dad was a chemist and paranoid about botulism.

If you do pasteurize your fresh milk, do you also add cacl or is that just for homogenized?

We have a large dairy at the university and I can get fresh milk daily, they have both raw and pasteurized, but I thought that I would just pasteurize it myself. 

MrsKK

Re: Pasteurizing Raw Milk
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 11:54:42 AM »
I have my own cow and I do not pasteurize my milk, except for making yogurt, which otherwise turns out slimey.  I eat my cheeses fresh or aged, but I also drink my milk raw and prefer it that way.

However, I do milk my own cow.  I know my cow's history and how she is fed, the immunizations and medications she's had, and how clean I am in my milking practices.

As you are getting your milk from a large dairy, you would have to make your own decision on that.

I've never had to use CaCl, so I can't answer that for you.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 01:41:02 AM »
I have a few recipes that I pasteurize the raw milk for because they don't mature very long before eatting so they have a better chance of bacterial problems without pasteurization. For cheeses with a long maturation time I don't.

As for CaCl it is only needed for store bought milk

newbie001

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 03:56:02 AM »
thanks.

Deejay: I sent you a PM about your web page. I really loved it. Thanks for all of your dedication to those interested in learning. 

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 04:13:45 AM »
Thanks you hon! I think learning and experience should be shared when ever posible and the internet makes it so easy to share.

Cheese Head

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 10:30:48 AM »
Just to add, my understanding is that adding CaCl2 is just to get better curd set and for milks that have been pasteurized as that process somehow removes the natural Calcium.

There are several threads on CaCl2 in the Ingredients - Everything Else Board.