Author Topic: Did I ruin my first Caerphilly?  (Read 1268 times)

Phiber_optikx2

Did I ruin my first Caerphilly?
« on: March 24, 2017, 09:09:36 PM »
While making my first Caerphilly I think I made a mistake. Everything seemed good until the brine. The recipe wasn't very specific and called for a 24 hour brine in cold water. So me not thinking placed the cheese in a brine in the refrigerator. It is now drying on the counter for 2-3 days but would brining that cold interfere with bacteria or cause any other adverse reactions?

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
Re: Did I ruin my first Caerphilly?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 09:57:16 PM »
I doubt that putting it in the fridge would cause any lasting damage, particularly to the bacteria. The starter bacteria are largely killed by the salt anyway. What it would have done is to slow down the rate of salt absorption, so the salt level in your Caerphilly will probably be rather less than you expected. You could try brining it again but without knowing how much salt was absorbed first time, it would all be real guess work.
- Andrew

Phiber_optikx2

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 12:48:55 AM »
Well that is reassuring. I second guessed myself halfway through and pulled it out of the fridge so hopefully it is somewhere around 75% as salty as it should be. On an unrelated note, if this turns out ok I think Caerphilly is my new go to cheese. I am impatient and already ruined two Cheddars so hopefully this turns out. I have seen some people add chives and even seen a B linen washed Caerphilly which was beautiful.  Are these things worth while on this cheese? Does it absorb the flavors in such a short time?

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 04:43:43 AM »
Salt brine should work close to the same speed no matter the temp ....  With in reason .... as it works via osmosis

I should also add that if you left it the correct amount of time via the recipe it should have  close to 90 to 95 % of the needed salt  even in the fridge , 

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 12:04:06 AM »
I always brine at cave temperature...50F/10C.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2017, 03:52:39 PM »
I wouldn't be the least bit worried about brining in the fridge, though I usually do it in the cave, or sometimes at room temperature if the fridge is full.

I am a bit concerned about the length of brining - how big was this Caerphilly? 24 hours is a long time in the brine. Yes, Caerphilly is normally on the salty side, but for the 4-gallon makes that I do, this would be too long.

As for additions - sure, you can add flavors to the Caerphilly. I will sometimes coat a Caerphilly with olive oil and smoked paprika. The flavor doesn't really permeate the paste, but as long as you slice it so that you get some of the rind, the smoky taste comes through in a lovely way.
-- Andy

Phiber_optikx2

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 05:04:04 AM »
It was a 2# make. I used the recipe from cheesemaking.com. I am interested in making a horseradish Caerphilly and also an onion and chive version. Will have to see how this one comes out first.