Author Topic: Second Go Around  (Read 577 times)

cindybman

Second Go Around
« on: March 24, 2017, 09:09:43 PM »
Allow myself to introduce myself :). I originally started making cheese two years ago, then I sort of went off grid for awhile and now, I'm back...  I'm so happy to start again!  The first time around, I got so caught up in the excruciating details, I got overwhelmed and quit.  I realize details are quite important; however, I was a beginner trying to fill out forms that I think professional cheesemakers use and much of it was over my head and intimidating.  Now, I will be writing my own notes and recording details that are important to me and that most books and articles mention as essential.

I've made butter, cottage cheese, crème fraîche, fresh mozzarella and one cheese that got put in a crappy cheese press (I've since bought a much better one) and aged until I basically forgot about it, then I was too scared to try it and when I finally did, it actually was very good! (I made my Mom and husband try it too... I thought if I go down, we all go down together.  Seriously, they made me try it first then waited 10 minutes to see if it was ok for them to eat. :D )

I would like to make a different cheese but one that ages very quickly.  I was hoping to take something to my Mom's for Easter.  Would there be anything that fits this bill?  If it matters, I have access to raw milk and the cream to milk ratio is awesome!  I planned on making some cottage cheese, butter, ricotta and sour cream.  But I would love to bring up a small wheel of cheese to show off! :)

Any suggestions or advice you can give will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you and happy cheesing (??),

Cindy

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
Re: Second Go Around
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 04:51:00 AM »
3 weeks is rather tight but I think that there is a quick Caerphilly on here recently that might work

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 05:01:49 AM »
Here's one that should be ready on time if you can get on it straight away

http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,16092.0.html

cindybman

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 06:16:43 PM »
Thank you so much!  I'm on it!