Author Topic: To wrap or not to wrap?  (Read 849 times)

Duntov

To wrap or not to wrap?
« on: March 25, 2017, 03:17:54 PM »
I have numerous 2 - 3 lb. Cheddar cheeses in my aging cave and have been in there for about six months.  They are all cream coated.  I am concerned that they may dry out too much and create too much rind.  I have purchased many cloth bandaged cheeses that were aged 12 - 16 months and they all had rinds that were fairly deep.  With my smaller form factor cheeses, I am concerned about losing too much that is edible.

I am now considering either bagging or stretch wrapping for the next six months.  Does this sound like a good approach?

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
Re: To wrap or not to wrap?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 06:27:59 AM »
I have no idea as I have never made a cheddar , but I will make you this offer , if by chance this rind turns out too thick and you can not bear to eat the cheese I will happily take it off your hands .

And I extend my gracious offer to all members and their immediate families .

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 06:33:59 AM »
I have a similar problem. In our hot, dry summers here it is hard to keep the humidity up. Most of my hard cheeses end up waxed. I like oiled rinds too for some cheeses but even with those I often wax over the oiled rind after a while.
- Andrew

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 02:33:57 PM »
John, I have cream-coated some hard and semihard cheeses to allow them to age gently and still "breathe", exchanging gases. If I conclude that they are losing too much moisture, I will vacuum-seal them to preserve what moisture remains. Not a problem.

-Boofer-

Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Duntov

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 03:45:52 PM »
Gregore, never made a Cheddar?  Shame on you.  lol

Andrew, I am good on humidity.  Actually I am running high in the low 90's and trying to bring it down.  So many fresh cheeses lately I don't need a humidifier.

John, I have cream-coated some hard and semihard cheeses to allow them to age gently and still "breathe", exchanging gases. If I conclude that they are losing too much moisture, I will vacuum-seal them to preserve what moisture remains. Not a problem.

-Boofer-

Good to hear Boofer.  I will go ahead and bag.  When time to eat, I will take them out of the bags and let them breath for about a week in the cave.

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 04:02:47 AM »
I have been to lazy to make a press .