Author Topic: Jarlsberg the Second  (Read 3183 times)

AnnDee

Re: Jarlsberg the Second
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2017, 12:14:12 AM »
Andrew, if you are having another go at Jarlsberg maybe consider using a slow acidiying culture like Flora Danica, CHN22, Aroma B, etc. I think the propionic also need a kind of 'sweet' cheese environment than an acidic one.

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2017, 02:14:05 AM »
Thanks Ann. Yes, I think that you are right. I also think that I would reduce the ripening time. I ripened it for a total of about fifty minutes. My Edams, on the other hand, which have been quite successful, were only ripened for about ten minutes.
- Andrew

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2017, 04:08:27 AM »
Hi Andy. No, I don't have a pH meter. I do have some pH paper but I find it of limited value and seldom use it. The supplier of my cultures (cheesemaking.com.au) has confirmed that high acidity is the problem and cites the pale colour in the middle of the cheese as further evidence of this.
This, together with the temperature and the salting certainly gives me some things to think about if I decide to attempt one of these again.
Many thanks for the information.

Definitely do it again, I was lucky and had holes form on my first attempt (even if they weren't very big)
Keep up the good work and ac4u for trying. 
-Bill
One day I will add something here...

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2017, 05:01:24 AM »
Well one thing you have learned about this recipe if you do choose to use it agin .... is that the timing is off  for final salting .

For example if it was 8 hrs from molding to salting then maybe take off 2 hrs and see if that improves it and by how much .

Once you dial a recipe in , it is such a pleasure to make it .

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2017, 12:03:38 PM »
Thanks Bill, Gregore. I really appreciate all the good advice and encouragement that I'm getting.
When I opened the cheese I was thinking that it would probably be my last try at a Jarlsberg but with all the good ideas coming my way I'm starting to get keen to try again. It won't be until summer though as the warm phase would be a bit difficult at the moment.
- Andrew