Author Topic: My first real "Blue"  (Read 1203 times)

5ittingduck

My first real "Blue"
« on: March 31, 2017, 07:51:24 AM »
Details in the comments as I am having difficulty uploading.

5ittingduck

Re: My first real "Blue"
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 07:53:28 AM »
This is a test attempt at a proper blue cheese, to see if I can maintain a favourable environment and get proper mould development without jeopardizing the rest of my maturing cheeses.
I made them small to mature fast and fit into plastic containers (which provide the humidity they need) in what is normally a dry environment (my maturing fridges, running at 10 Celcius with low humidity).
Recipe is Ricki Carroll's "Blue Cheese", blue culture stolen from a bit of Gorgonzola mashed up in the raw cow's milk.
I started them in the middle of February (pic 1), they showed good growth by 4 weeks (pic 2, they got scraped just after that) and I cut the first after 6 weeks.
Nice.  A proper rind (I vac pack my cheeses, so mostly don't develop a real rind) and slightly squishy.  Interior paste is showing a good creamy colour and the veins are developing nicely.
Texture is slightly firm (but heading in the right direction) and really smooth/creamy. Only a little "Blue" smell at this stage, and mild but full blue flavour.
I'm very happy with this cheese, it's better than I could have hoped. I have more for longer maturation, but I fear they won't last long.  Space constraints mean that I can only have one batch going at a time worse luck.
I have made a few blue infused cheeses before (cheddar and Gouda, both really tasty), but as I vacuum pack my cheeses, they develop a slight blue flavour but no actual blue mould, as they run out of oxygen and hibernate early in the maturation process.  The blue "Wakes up" if I unpack the cheeses, but it never lasts long enough to really develop much colour.

5ittingduck

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 08:02:04 AM »
Sorry about the picture number stuffups and multiple posts, something to do with the Stone Age Tasmanian NBN network or something.....

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 11:02:00 AM »
Looks pretty good. What is the verdict on the taste?
(At least you've got NBN.)
- Andrew

5ittingduck

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 08:32:19 PM »
Taste is developing well. The creaminess of the milk is pronounced and the blue slow to hit the pallette but rich and full.  It's not mature enough for me yet, but the flavour profile is just what I wanted.
Reminds me of a firm Blue Castello at this point.
I ate half the cheese right off the knife, the wife raced me.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2017, 01:55:42 AM »
Nice blue color. Sounds and looks like a tasty treat.  :P

Have a cheese.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2017, 02:32:45 AM »
Awesome another Aussie !!  Welcome Sir Duck..

On your Blue cheese - damn they look good !  You had better be careful as people will want to copy those cute little rounds.

A cheese as well from me..

Mal 

Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !