Author Topic: So much milk! Help PLEASE!  (Read 2761 times)

lovinglife

So much milk! Help PLEASE!
« on: April 03, 2017, 05:17:55 PM »
Ok, so I have dairy goats and a full time job that keeps me away from the house 11 hours a day, I am ending up with two gallons of milk a day extra from feeding the kids, if you had two gallons of extra milk a day (soon to be about 6) what would you do??  I have a small wine cooler for aging, I make chevre in my sleep when I have requests, have made cheddar, gouda etc, but are there any cheeses that don't take half a day to make?  I guess I could make chevre during the week then save a ton for weekend cheese making which works for now but not when I have 6 or so gallons a day, will be getting pigs this summer but until then, help! TIA

Offline Chetty

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 17
  • Default personal text
Re: So much milk! Help PLEASE!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 05:31:55 PM »
I don't have experience with goats milk but if I needed to put up milk fast Gouda is what I turn too.  I don't know what recipe you use but the one from Peter Dixon takes about 3 hours.  Also something I haven't done is freeze the milk but I heard from others it is possible to freeze then use to make cheese, I've never done this so try it with caution. 

lovinglife

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 08:28:25 PM »
Actually I have had great results using frozen goats milk to thaw and make cheese with, I'm sure there will be a ton in the freezer before long but freezers are full of food already!  I really can't justify freezer number 4 just for milk.  LOL  Guess it is time for freezer clean out and organizing.  I will try to find the recipe you mentioned, seems like my gouda took a lot longer than that.  Thanks!

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 05:45:53 AM »
I think if it was me , I would learn to make latic acid set cheeses  add culture walk away for 24 hrs then drain and put in molds walk away 24 hrs then salt and put into cave .  Total time each day 10 minutes with maybe double that on the molding day .

But 6 gallons is way to much cheese to eat as lactic tend to be good for about 45 days max .  So really you need to make harder aged cheeses for sure , so freeze it and make larger or multiple batches on the weekends .

Goat tommes should be easy enough.  Linux boys recipe should need no mods really to work with goat milk , the only draw back is it is a ph recipe .

lovinglife

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 01:49:58 PM »
PH recipe?  Does that mean not raw milk?  If so I would think I could still make it.  Getting a few new supplies tomorrow, going to try the bloomy cheeses, I have lots of friends at work that buy my goat cheese, so if I can get a bloomy down I can sell at our private little farmers market we have here at work once a month.  I really want to find some nice specialty type things I can make, people here like the more "high end" products.  Any help is greatly appreciated!  I sell a little here and there to help pay for feed for my animals, plus I just enjoy it.

Offline Chetty

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 17
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 02:08:18 PM »
Another cheese you could try (I haven't but I'm going to when I have time) is belper knolle.  From what I've read  you can make it like a lactic cheese and just let it sit over night but the down side is the forming and drying. 

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 03:45:50 AM »
No I mean PH recipe as in it uses a ph meter . Not time .

Lactic set goats cheese with PLA and PC  after 2 weeks you will have  a white mold covered cheese , you can sell and they are good right through to a grating cheese .

You can also add powdered charcoal  to give it an extra cool look .

lovinglife

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2017, 01:35:48 PM »
I have a PH meter, I need to get it out and learn to use it.  I am hoping it will help me take my cheese making to the next level, all help is very greatly appreciated!

lovinglife

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2017, 01:39:43 PM »
So I have now in my supply two different kinds of the spores for bloomy cheeses and some ash, so excited to start and hopefully master a new cheese.