Author Topic: Introducing myself!  (Read 1789 times)

Offline michoutim

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 5
  • Default personal text
Introducing myself!
« on: June 25, 2009, 12:34:21 AM »
Hello to everyone on this forum. Looks like a wonderful place! Just stumbled upon it a few minutes ago.

I live in Australia, a great place!

We started making cheeses 2 years ago (in fact my husband makes them). And I'll say to those who would be freaking out: do not worry. It is relatively easy.
I remember I used to freak out also about making bread.  Life is easier than we may think!

I do not know whether I can post that question here or if I have to post it somewhere else. I'll let the moderaot be the judge.

We start making cheeses by using a bain marie. The usual way.
I was wondering whether by starting it in the yoghurt maker with cold milk plus rennet, and adding a starter of Brie or Camembert, then straining it the next day, we would get the same result without the process being so cumbersome, having to keep the milk at a specific temperature for a while etc...

What do you think?

Many thanks!
Best regards to all! :D

linuxboy

Re: Introducing myself!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 12:57:16 AM »
I was wondering whether by starting it in the yoghurt maker with cold milk plus rennet, and adding a starter of Brie or Camembert, then straining it the next day, we would get the same result without the process being so cumbersome, having to keep the milk at a specific temperature for a while etc...

You need to be able to time the point of initial coagulation (flocculation), and use the right multiplier for your cheese before cutting, or your cheese will not turn out correctly or consistently. With that in mind, I use all sorts of gadgets in my cheesemaking and maybe your way will work too. It's not standard... but give it a try and let us know :)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 01:21:57 AM »
Gday michoutim

I have a question for you ... what's a "bain marie?"

newbie001

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 03:50:01 AM »
I am not sure if it is spelled correct, but it is a french term for water bath, or double boiler set up.

Offline michoutim

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 5
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 10:03:03 PM »
Thank you Linuxboy!  :D

Yes indeed, sorry, bain marie = double boiler.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 03:50:14 AM »
Thanks!