Author Topic: Cheese making books on sale  (Read 1367 times)

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
Cheese making books on sale
« on: April 07, 2017, 04:58:29 PM »
I just got a note from Amazon that they have a couple of cheesemaking books on sale:

Artisan Cheesemaking at Home by Mary Karlin, on sale for $18.74 (free shipping for Prime users)
Mastering Basic Cheesemaking by Gianaclis Caldwell, on sale for $16.29 (free shipping for Primer users)

I don't have either of these, but do have Mastering Artisan Cheesemaking by Caldwell; I'm guessing I would not gain anything extra by buying the "Basic" book - ? I've heard Karlin mentioned a few times, but don't know anything about it. With Caldwell, Rikki Carroll's book, and 200 Easy Cheeses, would I gain anything by adding Karlin's book?

By the way, Kindle version of each are also available; 15.48 for Mastering Basic Cheesemaking and $15.99 for Artisan Cheese Making.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 06:45:27 PM by awakephd »
-- Andy

DoctorCheese

Re: Cheese making books on sale
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 05:00:46 PM »
I am also curious about the Karlin book. It would be nice to have something to cross reference with Caldwell.

DoctorCheese

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 05:08:33 PM »
With a quick glance on amazon reviews I found people complaining that there are many mistakes in the recipes that can cause serious problems.

Duntov

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 05:58:59 PM »
Attached are the list of corrections to the Karlin book.  I bought my copy last year and compared it to the list of corrections.  My edition has most of the changes incorporated but not all.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 06:11:32 PM by Duntov »

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 08:48:20 PM »
John, do you have some of the others I mentioned above (Caldwell's Mastering Artisan Cheesemaking, Ricki Carroll's Home Cheese Making, or Amrein-Boyes' 200 Easy Homemade Cheese Recipes? If so, does Karlin's book offer something that would make it worth adding to the collection, or would it just be repetition of what I already have?
-- Andy

Duntov

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 09:19:12 PM »
John, do you have some of the others I mentioned above (Caldwell's Mastering Artisan Cheesemaking, Ricki Carroll's Home Cheese Making, or Amrein-Boyes' 200 Easy Homemade Cheese Recipes? If so, does Karlin's book offer something that would make it worth adding to the collection, or would it just be repetition of what I already have?

This is on the only book I have Andy.   I use it or get my recipes either here on the forum or other places on the internet such as cheesemaking.com.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 10:04:05 PM »
Okay, thanks. I certainly tend to trust the recipes / experience here as much or more than what I have in the books. The Carroll and Amrein-Boyes books have lots and lots of recipes, some of which seem to be quite different even though supposedly the same cheese ... and some which seem to be quite similar, despite being for different cheeses! Caldwell's book, on the other hand ... not that many recipes, but her explanations of the microbiological processes that go into the making of cheese are worth the price of the book even if it had no recipes at all.
-- Andy

AeonSam

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 10:59:03 PM »
Have you guys ever heard of or looked at "The Kitchen Creamery?"

Sam

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 06:13:03 PM »
Haven't heard about it. Interested to hear the details - is it a book, or a website, or ... ?
-- Andy

AeonSam

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 09:04:22 PM »
It's a book from a lady that I followed on Instagram who goes by san fransisco milkmaid. She posted amazing pics of her cheese and I was contemplating buying her new book. She has a nice visual way of presenting things. I was curious to see if anyone else had her book or tried her recipes

https://www.amazon.com/Kitchen-Creamery-Making-Yogurt-Butter/dp/1452111626

Sam