Author Topic: Advice on a desired flavor profile  (Read 673 times)

DoctorCheese

Advice on a desired flavor profile
« on: April 09, 2017, 02:52:30 AM »
Hello everyone! I will be making my first raw milk cheese on Monday and I have decided on a washed curd cheese. Could you help me figure out some details please?!

I want the cheese to:
  • Have a medium ph, so that the raw milk bacteria flavors aren't hidden behind a huge lactic acid punch
  • Require only a moderate amount of aging to be yummy (3-6 months)
  • Taste similar to a Gouda

In order to achieve this my current plan is to roughly follow a recipe from the Caldwell book called "same-temperature light-brine washed curd cheese." Does anyone have tricks, comments, advice, or smart remarks?

Offline Chetty

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 17
  • Default personal text
Re: Advice on a desired flavor profile
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 03:23:11 AM »
So you want it to taste like a Gouda, so are you making Gouda?  I would use a culture Flora D or mm100 the help producing the buttery flavor and drain before 6.3 as to starve the bacteria for a sweeter cheese.  One thing to remember raw milk needs half as much culture (as far as my experience goes) I loosely use Peter Dixons recipe.  If you have a ph meter the final cheese I shoot for is around 5.4. 

Offline botanist

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
  • Default personal text
    • CalOakGoats
Re: Advice on a desired flavor profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 08:28:44 PM »
I use a combo of Kazu + Flav 54 after exhaustive trials of various cultures singly and in combination--and I only used pasteurized milk from my goats--great flavor after 1.5 months, even better up to 2 yrs
before goats, store bought milk = chevre & feta, with goats, infinite possibilities, goatie love, lotta work cleaning out the barn!