Author Topic: Basic Homemade Dutch Press  (Read 1826 times)

5ittingduck

Basic Homemade Dutch Press
« on: April 09, 2017, 11:30:46 PM »
I usually make 4 medium sized cheeses at a time and I was having difficulty getting sufficient pressure with dead weights, so a press was needed.
Unfortunately, I live in a small house, and space for equipment is hard to come by.
This press stows away inconspicuously and deploys quickly.  I can get about 20kg (40lb) press weight just with the chopping boards I have sitting around the kitchen, and about 50kg if I use a 20kg dumbbell weight.
Best of all, it does not take up any space when not in use.
The major downside is that it is a little laterally unstable and tends to press a little unevenly if I stack too tall, making wonky cheeses.  This is a factor of my incompetence with wood construction more than anything else :b

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
Re: Basic Homemade Dutch Press
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 03:40:47 AM »
Isn't necessity a great driver for inspiration.  I've seem designs where taller stacks are kept from the lateral movement by a series of rods end on in a square pattern, raising vertically. Rods would surround the cheeses in press quite snuggly.  Might stop the tippiness..

-- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !