Author Topic: Flavoured Farmhouse cheddar experiments.  (Read 1556 times)

5ittingduck

Flavoured Farmhouse cheddar experiments.
« on: April 09, 2017, 11:48:23 PM »
A couple more experimental cheddars using Ricki Carroll's "Farmhouse Cheddar" recipe.
Raw cow's milk from Vinnie (Holstein Jersey cross) from down the road.
Please note I have a really long tradition of ugly looking cheeses, and these are no exception.  You guys make embarrassingly nice looking cheeses!
On the left we have Green peppercorn and Hickory smoke.  The peppercorns (canned) were a bit low on flavour when I checked them, and the mix would need a bit more punch to give enough impact, hence the smoke from adding liquid hickory smoke to the milk.
On the right is Wasabi flavour, simply adding a 40g tube of commercial wasabi paste to the milk.  Half a tube didn't have enough impact, so I mixed the whole tube in and that has given me a really good flavour.  The commercial product I used is more horseradish than wasabi, but if this works, I will go full wasabi (powder or fresh) in the future.
The wasabi cheese is a bit smaller, perhaps the tube of wasabi slowed or stunted curd formation a little?
I let the curds get a bit warm while they were hanging and had a bit of a panic, but I think I saved them, they knit fine in the hoops.
Tried out a new press and they turned out a bit wonky, but that's kind of traditional.

AeonSam

Re: Flavoured Farmhouse cheddar experiments.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 12:00:01 PM »
Wasabi sounds interesting. I like wasabi, I wouldn't have thought to put it in cheese tho. Let us know how it comes out!

Sam

Offline GortKlaatu

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Goat milk?
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 11:43:37 PM »
I just saw this.  I've been thinking of putting Wasabi in a cheese (because I couldn't get enough "punch" with the horseradish around here.)
My question: 40 g of Wasabi paste to what quantity of milk?
And even though it's been awhile--here's AC4U
Somewhere, some long time ago, milk decided to reach toward immortality… and to call itself cheese.

5ittingduck

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 08:00:11 AM »
10 litres.
This reminds me, I should probably dig these out and taste them ;)

Offline GortKlaatu

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Goat milk?
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 02:37:31 PM »
Thanks 5ittingduck!
I'm gonna do that!
And please let me know what you think of yours once you dig it out. (and pictures of course LOL)
Somewhere, some long time ago, milk decided to reach toward immortality… and to call itself cheese.

5ittingduck

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 09:25:36 PM »
So I found it hiding in the fridge and cracked it.
No Wasabi pungency on the nose, texture was nearly perfect.  Firm and just a bit crumbly.
All the overt heat from the wasabi has gone, there is no bite left to it at all.  The flavour of the cheese is excellent.  Although there is no heat, there are still complimentary flavours coming through which balances the farmhouse cheddar nicely.
The peppercorn cheese which I made from the same batch had a strong flavour but not the "full" taste the Wasabi cheese has.
Of all the farmhouse cheddars I have made, this is my second favourite.
It's texture was the best I have made, and the taste was second only to my Sriracha cheddar.
I have some powdered Wasabi in the spice drawer to try next time, this one used a 40G tube of wasabi paste mixed in the milk.  Maybe I will retain some pungency with the powder.