Author Topic: Converting failed Cam/Brie to fresh cheese spread?  (Read 912 times)

smcaro@gmail.com

Converting failed Cam/Brie to fresh cheese spread?
« on: April 11, 2017, 04:49:26 AM »
Hi everyone,

I made some cam/brie the other day. 8L of PH milk. Used vegetable rennet and for the first time in a long time, got a good clean cut.

Anyway, I used an open ended " hard" mould for about half the curd and 2 round baskets for the other half. For 12-16 hours I struggled with the fact that, while the " hard" mould was doing its job and allowing for constant flipping of the cheese, the baskets were a failure. The curd was not forming properly and it was all falling apart when flipping, etc.

Finally I gave up and used two other small " hard" moulds. Of course, by then, and even though I did apply some mild pressure, the curd was hard and about corn size. I salted and set them out to dry however. One is looking like a stilton type of texture, grain wise, but I can manage, even though flipping is a nightmare, with curd sticking to my fingers. The other simply cracked in half. I put it in a tight ( for size) plastic container and in the normal fridge in the hope of recovering it for some other use, like a spread of fresh cheese for example.

Any ideas for something like this? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
Re: Converting failed Cam/Brie to fresh cheese spread?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 05:20:03 PM »
Recently someone on the forum (don't recall who, unfortunately) said that many of his/her early cheese making efforts resulted in a lot of lasagna. :)
-- Andy

smcaro@gmail.com

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 12:34:25 AM »
Awakwphd: That lasagna, is certainly a very good option. Unfortunately in my minute Hong Kong apartment I do not have an oven.

I was thinking more on the side of adding some herbs or blue cheese for a spread. And also when would it be safe/unsafe to eat?

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 01:40:00 AM »
Oh, certainly you could add herbs/spices and use it as a spread. With refrigeration, it should last at least a week or so - at least, so I would guess; I don't have direct experience on this ...
-- Andy

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 04:25:33 AM »
I do this all the time with the curd from the cooked whey ,

I add either herbs , wasabi , or  hot spicy flavors .

It keeps at least a week or 2 , I have never tried freezing it . or you can roll it up as little balls  (golf ball size ) and let them age a little , the PC should still grow well.  If the curd is too wet  to hold its shape well , place them on a cloth over night and it should suck a fair amount of moisture from them .

If you age a few , taste et them at 2.5 to 3  weeks .

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 01:53:04 PM »
Great idea, Gregore - I like the idea of little balls covered in PC. If it ages at all well, it should turn into a mouthful of gooey goodness in one bite! :)
-- Andy

smcaro@gmail.com

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2017, 04:52:39 AM »
yes, very good idea. I will try some balls...