Author Topic: Hello from Tasmania.  (Read 7317 times)

Jay-1

Hello from Tasmania.
« on: April 14, 2017, 08:15:48 AM »
 Hi Folks,
 I'm a newbie from Tasmania, Ive posted up a question before introducing my self...apologies if i broke protocol, well im in the Nth of Tasmania and has collected and fabricated the gear i need to hopefully make some great cheeses, some have already posted advice in my other post and im very grateful. ok onto making cheese...fingers crossed.

Jay.

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
Re: Hello from Tasmania.
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 08:51:22 AM »
Hi Jay. Welcome on board. Don't worry too much about the formalities. Just relax and enjoy the cheese.
- Andrew

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 10:46:17 PM »
Welcome, Jay! No worries on the order of the posts ... no doubt, being "down under," they just got delivered backwards. Or something like that. :)
-- Andy

Jay-1

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 05:16:14 AM »
 Thanx for the Welcome awakephd,rawprawn, well ive now made my first cheese, a Colby, took me around 7hrs by the time i last adjusted my final pressing at 3am last night, after 12 hrs of pressing im about to get it out of the press and let it air.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 10:02:45 AM by Jay-1 »

5ittingduck

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 09:28:48 AM »
Nice !

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 09:59:23 AM »
Good looking cheese.
Have a cheese from me for your efforts.
- Andrew

Jay-1

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 02:56:15 AM »
  after being aired around a day later...

Jay-1

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2017, 04:19:39 AM »
Cheese #2 underway, Cheddar, lets see how this goes.

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2017, 05:24:24 AM »
Hey Jay... a Cheese to from me for sticking at it until 3 am... Dedication !

I also applaud your making of a press consider the cheese offered here a double cheese. Like light sabres - Every Padawan needs to make their own, several in my case !   Please don't take offense but you may find out that the cheese here will be a little crumbly and a bit tart.  Not that there is anything wrong with that as Caerphilly and others are exactly like that. However, there are two conditions that you might have to consider - and one you have already come across - you have to keep tightening the screw to keep it under pressure.  And two - that will not be obvious until you cut the cheese open - is that the curds will not be quite merged as you might think.

Pressing does two main things
1. Amalgamate the curds - this might be sort of obvious but, there is an art to it.
2. Help remove the whey - which still contain milk sugars, the food for the cultures - to slow their feeding.  This reduces the acid they produce and hence reduces the tartness off the final product.

There is an amazing number of interrelated processes happening at the same time. The value of a good pressing regime tends to be underestimated.  Here is a link to my last press I built and there are many others on this site as well. Hint - the Dutch style will allow you to get to bed a little earlier  :o

Plans are free... link to the designer in this link
http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,14874.0.html

Welcome to the wonderful world of cheese - most of the population have forgotten what real cheese tastes like - we, are trying to wake them up !  Red or Blue Pill !!

Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2017, 07:09:00 PM »
Mal, is the design still working well for you? BTW, along with others who have said it, it is nice to see you back!
-- Andy

Jay-1

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2017, 10:08:19 PM »
 Thanx for the infomation OzzieCheese it looks like a great cheese press, well here is my Cheddar Cheese 12 hours later, i just removed it from the press...now to wait 6-12 mths to see if it's ok.

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2017, 01:35:55 AM »
@Andy... Mate this is the best press ever !!  it can be as gentle as an evening breeze or as powerful as a cyclone.  I've pressed over 180 Kg for my cheddars with the pullys  attached and it just kept asking for more... awesome design. 

@Jay.  Are you going to wax, Bandage or just leave natural?

If bandaging here is how I do it - have wonderful results using this
http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,13778.0.html
comes out like this - yes it is funky looking but the gold is in the inside...
http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,14913.0.html

- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Jay-1

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2017, 07:41:36 AM »
 It's getting cloth banded, using lard, so is the Colby. Thanx again for the links on cloth banding.

5ittingduck

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2017, 08:13:41 AM »
It's a shame you are a bit far away, i have a good supply of fresh rendered lard.
I also have a load of smoked bacon fat which would be worth experimenting with.
Hmm, might have to think about that.

Jay-1

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2017, 08:50:16 AM »
 Damn you Mr 5ittingDuck! I had to go and look up what rendered lard was...lol's...looks like dripping we used to cook with before all the healthy stuff became fashionable.