Author Topic: Hello from Tasmania.  (Read 7313 times)

Jay-1

Re: Hello from Tasmania.
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2017, 06:48:33 AM »
 and here it is, fresh out of the press...ta da...my Sage Derby Cheese.

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2017, 12:15:15 PM »
Congratulations on a great looking cheese, as well as (belatedly) for your cloth bound cheddar.
Have another cheese for your efforts.
- Andrew

Duntov

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2017, 04:16:47 PM »
Looks great. Have a cheese on me!

Jay-1

« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2017, 08:44:35 AM »
 Wax coated heading for the cheese cave... taste test in 6-8 weeks

John@PC

« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2017, 12:23:38 PM »
Another cheese Jay for your cheese and "Mr. Smiley Face" in the background  :)

Jay-1

« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2017, 02:27:23 AM »
Here comes the dumb question, why do we have to turn our maturing cheese, remember i'm a newbie and just follow the recipe and how they say to mature it? (hard hat) is on...lol's

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2017, 10:21:43 PM »
My understanding is that the denser components of the cheese tend to settle to the bottom over time and that turning is to keep a uniform composition.
- Andrew

Jay-1

« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2017, 12:39:24 AM »
My understanding is that the denser components of the cheese tend to settle to the bottom over time and that turning is to keep a uniform composition.

Thanx for answering, after pressing you would think it would be uniformed and consistant.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2017, 02:01:38 AM »
Hmm, I didn't think it was necessarily components in the cheese (unless perhaps a soft cheese), but more the overall shape of the cheese, especially before the rind sets up - as in, especially with a somewhat softer cheese like a Gouda, you can get elephant foot - ??
-- Andy

Jay-1

« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2017, 04:53:40 AM »
Hmm, I didn't think it was necessarily components in the cheese (unless perhaps a soft cheese), but more the overall shape of the cheese, especially before the rind sets up - as in, especially with a somewhat softer cheese like a Gouda, you can get elephant foot - ??

k.. I'll bite, elephants foot refers to the bulberous shape that a cheese can form?? right...hard hat back on...lol's

Jay-1

« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2017, 10:37:14 AM »
 >:D I cracked and tasted my first cheddar way before it's time...definitely a cheese but extremely mild at the momet...after my taste and curiousity quencher I wax coated it in four pieces and weighed around 600 grams per block, so i can taste with out disturbing the rest of the wheel at intervals.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2017, 02:29:45 PM »
Yes, elephant's foot refers to the shape. (Fortunately not the taste ... !)

I have found that my cheddars take a good 6 months to mature; before that, they are disappointing. Note that this is referring to a true cheddar, not a semi-in-the-cheddar-family cheese like a Lancashire, which has a lot more moisture in the cheese.
-- Andy

DoctorCheese

« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2017, 01:27:55 AM »
I wax coated it in four pieces
You've got enough wax to open a candle factory on those. I am very fickle with my wax application because it is stupid expensive and buying less leaves me more room to buy other cheese stuff. They look cool with the way you did it though. Probably more durable too.

Jay-1

« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2017, 01:38:15 AM »
I wax coated it in four pieces
You've got enough wax to open a candle factory on those. I am very fickle with my wax application because it is stupid expensive and buying less leaves me more room to buy other cheese stuff. They look cool with the way you did it though. Probably more durable too.

I tried to do three coats, but yeah there well coated. I do like the feel of wax compared to the greasy feel of cloth banded.

DoctorCheese

« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2017, 01:56:04 AM »
I wax my full wheels and vacuum seal the quarters when I cut them and want to age longer.