Author Topic: Anyone make whole-wheat bread?  (Read 7761 times)

Tomer1

Re: Anyone make whole-wheat bread?
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2011, 06:37:22 PM »
Yep pan loafs have the abillity to rise much more then free form because of the added support given by the pan, a free form boule or batard would simply collapse and\or flatten to the sides like a chiabeta.

Offline vertlook

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 2
  • Default personal text
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2011, 07:19:01 PM »
I bake a lot of rye/whole wheat combination, where I have
40% of rye
30% of whole wheat
30% of bread flour

A few tricks I learned which changed my game:
1. After forming a batard, I put it on a parchment paper, which in turn I put on a large cutting board. Then I lift edges of the paper  and wrap a kitchen towel around it, so the towel supports the bread. Then I put a cup of water in a microwave and turn it on until water starts boiling, turn off the microwave and put the board with a bread on it in the microwave, leaving hot water int here too.
You can control your temperature/humidity in the microwave by boiling water longer.
Shalom and good luck!

KosherBaker

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2011, 03:44:47 AM »
Shalom Ariel301.

Who knew I'd meet a fellow Kosher Vegetarian, on a cheese making board, discussing bread baking. :) :D
I see that this is an old thread and you may not be having this problem any more, but if you do here goes. I've made a 100% Whole Wheat bread with both commercial yeast and Sourdough. I definitely preferred the results with the Sourdough. So for some years now I've used my Sourdough starter exclusively for all my bread baking needs. The suggestions you've gotten are really good. Soaking the whole wheat flour will soften the bran. Softer bran flakes should make it easier to form the gluten structure properly.  Also, as was mentioned make sure your sourdough culture is at its most active.
I also like to do sourdough but have the same problem; it takes hours or even days to rise, and then when it does, it just sinks back down and gets hard when baked.
This is a rather classic sign of overproofing. Can you post your recipe/procedure? That'll make it easier to troubleshoot.
I think part of my problem may be that it is so dry here. We have almost no humidity; I have to add extra liquid to any dough I make.
Do you weigh your ingredients, or do you use cup measurements? I live in Los Angeles, where the climate is very very dry. However, I find that neither humidity not dryness have much of an affect on my doughs. As long as I weigh my ingredients, my recipes stay pretty consistent.
Even white bread doesn't do as well here as it did in Colorado. So, breads that are proven to work in a desert climate would be perfect.
The two biggest factors that are most likely affecting you the lower elevation and the water. If your district has soft water or you have a water softener installed in your house, that will create some difficulty for your bread rising.

Tomer1

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2011, 05:26:08 PM »
Ariel I suggest you learn how to use baker's percentage,
Its a god's gift and makes everything easyer and consistant.

Regarding the boiling water pan,
Its a good trick when its a really cold winter evening, the natural levein dough is sluggish during final proof and your in a hurry to get it in the oven for diner.  :P

Dgarner23

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2011, 05:27:48 PM »
I was a commercial bakery manager for years.  WHole wheat and grain breads were my specialty.  Add Vital Wheat Gluten.  The gluten network needs more strength to hold up to whole wheat flour.  Add about 1- 1.5 teaspoons per cup of flour.  If you can get ascorbic acid, a pinch of this added would help as well.  One other tip - you shouldn't mix quite as long.  It is a feel thing that experience teaches.  When you mix white doughs you mix just past peak gluten development.  For wheat doughs you stop at peak gluten development.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2011, 05:41:23 PM »
I was a commercial bakery manager for years.  WHole wheat and grain breads were my specialty.  Add Vital Wheat Gluten.  The gluten network needs more strength to hold up to whole wheat flour.  Add about 1- 1.5 teaspoons per cup of flour.  If you can get ascorbic acid, a pinch of this added would help as well.  One other tip - you shouldn't mix quite as long.  It is a feel thing that experience teaches.  When you mix white doughs you mix just past peak gluten development.  For wheat doughs you stop at peak gluten development.

Ditto, on the vital wheat gluten.  When I'm not being a "purist," I even use it in my white levains from time to time, replacing a portion of the bread flour with the gluten.  I also use it in baguettes, which unlike my levain boules, etc., usually get baked the same day ( a short retard, combo cultured yeast/starter culture).
- Paul

xdewit

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2011, 02:57:55 PM »
I make a 100% whole wheat home grinded bread. I do use some extra gluten and dough enhancer, but the breads come out like those at the health stores!
I am now experimenting with whey breads, I am now making a no knead whey bread with a ratio of 300 gr home grinded whole wheat flour and 100 gr of store bought flour. I let the bread rest for 18 hours and bake them in a Dutch oven. they come out like a serious artisan bread ;D
Xant