Author Topic: Cheddar/Jack?  (Read 2664 times)

newbie001

Cheddar/Jack?
« on: June 25, 2009, 12:52:28 PM »
Has anyone ever pressed two different types of cheeses together? I had a colby/jack many years ago when I studied in the US and thought it was good.

I thought it might be fun to make two batches of cheeses and press the curds together. Has anyone had success doing this or is it a waste of milk?

wharris

Re: Cheddar/Jack?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 02:43:43 PM »
Its only a waste of milk if the resulting cheese is not eaten!

the logistics required to make two seperate batches simulaneously keeps me from actually doing it.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 03:59:44 AM »
Sounds like fun but much like Wayne I'd be hard pressed (no pun intended) to make two batches unless they were very small batches.

newbie001

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 01:02:00 PM »
I think that if I make each batch with about 2-3 gallons of milk, I will be ok and then press them together. Cheddar does use slightly more pressure though but that won't be too bad. However cheddar usually ages much longer almost twice as long as jack. I guess if I make a dry version rather than a fresher version of jack then it might be ok. I think that I will add color to the cheddar so that I can see the difference in the final product.

I just have to wait for an international shipment of my cultures, and rennet. Might take six weeks.

wharris

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 01:05:15 PM »
Where are you located?  I use Dairy Connection here in the USA for most of my consumables.
www.dairyconnection.com

newbie001

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 03:22:53 AM »
I am from Thailand in the city of Chiang Mai. International orders take time. They will also not ship some things, so what I do is have my friend in the states order for me and reship it.

wharris

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 03:26:09 AM »
There are others here from Thailand. 
If you really cannot get locally sourced supplies... I smell a hobby-related business opportunity.
:)

FRANCOIS

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 12:50:39 AM »
Two cheeses tgether you say?  How about this:

It's half cow/half goat with a layer of herbs between, then rolled in herbs and washed in  bourbon for 60 days.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 04:23:40 AM »
That is really pretty Francois! Bourbon wash you say? Does the cheese absorb the alcohol? How does the alcohol affect the cheese? This is very interesting!

FRANCOIS

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 05:12:56 AM »
It's cut with brine, but helps to keep the extanious mold don.  The alcohol evaporates, but flavor remains.  It as bourbon mixed with mandarin juice and salt brine actually.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 12:03:23 AM »
That really sounds like it's be a great combination. Do you recommend any particular brand of bourbon?

FRANCOIS

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 09:41:16 AM »
Nope, I don't even remember the brand I used.  It was on sale at the package store.