Author Topic: Butter Nut: Custom recipe  (Read 88 times)

Offline DoctorCheese

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Hello, my name is Jobe
Butter Nut: Custom recipe
« on: April 18, 2017, 02:50:32 AM »
I have never really liked American style Swiss cheese all that much, but I have a little Swiss in my family history so I wanted to try this style of cheese. For the most part I used the "baby swiss" recipe off Cheesmaking.com located here. However, I am never one to use a recipe exactly so I did my best to fudge it up by putting a veritable smorgasbord of cultures in this poor cheese. There is likely a microbial war of epic proportions going on! Anywhoo, this is the biggest cheese I have made so far and it was a lot of fun (6 gallons of milk, 3 raw 3 P&H, weight of 6lb 9oz). I am really looking forward to the aging process with this one as I have never done a Propionic make before. Everyone keep your fingers crossed.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 04:26:39 PM by DoctorCheese »
I am a cheese loving college student headed towards a PhD in Psychology working with what I have to produce some yummy morsels. Advice is always welcome!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 305
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: Butter Nut: Custom recipe
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 12:09:44 PM »
Looks good so far, Jobe. Did you brine it or dry-salt it?

I may have referenced this topic previously, but I feel it bears repeating: posted pics don't have to be the full resolution coming out of today's cameras. Shrinking pics still permits the viewer to enjoy the picture clearly with the added benefit of quicker pic loading/displaying. A resolution of 1024x768, for example, provides adequate clarity. For those few pics where the poster feels added resolution would help tell the story, then a larger pic might be warranted. A)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline DoctorCheese

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Hello, my name is Jobe
Re: Butter Nut: Custom recipe
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 04:03:39 PM »
Looks good so far, Jobe. Did you brine it or dry-salt it?
Thanks. I did a heavy brine for 2.5 hrs per pound as per the recipe. In regards to image size, I never even thought about it and will shrink future images down for ease of loading.
I am a cheese loving college student headed towards a PhD in Psychology working with what I have to produce some yummy morsels. Advice is always welcome!