Author Topic: Starter Cultures - What & Where Buy & What Amount Use & How Well Work?  (Read 5534 times)

Cheese Head

OK, I'll start, todate I've only made and used my own made Mesophilic and Thermophilic Starter Cultures based on the recipes in this forum. Amounts as per recipe, seems to work well but cheeses taste similar, either meso or thermo.

Thus I'm at the stage where I want to branch into the next step and use purpose made cultures distributed on hobby scale via Cheese Supply stores like the ones listed here.

What are you using, and where buy or how make, and what amount, and how well have they worked for you . . .
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 02:50:27 AM by Cheese Head »

reg

morning CH. the only starters that we have ever used are also made at home. at some point we are going to order a few different types and give them a go to see what the difference is.

reg

Cheese Head

Thanks reg, so are the ones you make at home the same as the two recipes I linked in my OP (Original Post) to or are you doing something different?

Also, you used "we", sounds like you are roping your wife or friend into your hobby 8), good man!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 12:34:16 PM by Cheese Head »

reg

hi CH. the meso starter is the same as your OP. the thermo is the one from the Alpine recipe. these are the only two we have used so far.

not crazy about using ' I ' in most posts. have always used the term ' we '. and yes trying to rope the warden into the cheese hobby ;-)

BTW just finished brushing and vac packing the 8" Caraway Gouda, the 8" Alpine and the 4" Alpine. the other 4" Alpine got brushed and another wine bath. it sure is smelling good !

Cheese Head

Did a bunch of research on commercially available cultures.

Built a new webpage just on Cultures and added a whole bunch of different cultures and info about them to the Glossary page on the website. Please let me know any corrections.

Just have to decide where I want to go now, I'm thinking Camenbert . . .

DaggerDoggie

Where do you find this stuff  I have been searching the web for months and never found these places. 

Cheese Head

Did some more digging today and added more info and split that Cultures webpage into three: Cultures, Culture Manufacturers, and a listing of Popular Manufactured Cultures, all accessable from the Cheese Making Homepage.