Author Topic: Has my rennet gone bad already?  (Read 151 times)

Offline SteveScott

• New Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
Has my rennet gone bad already?
« on: April 18, 2017, 10:29:58 PM »
I got some animal rennet.  I used a quarter tsp per gallon of milk as indicated and the first time it worked wonderfully.  The second time I used it (maybe two months later) the same amount barely coagulated.  I stored it in the refrigerator, but when I picked it up it was wet, making me think it wasn't sealed properly.  Should I just add more next time or has my rennet gone bad, or is it just hit-or-miss?  Is there a way to test rennet on a test batch?

Note: It is the same recipe.  I am making feta with half ultra-pasteurized goat milk and half pasteurized, non homogenized cow milk.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 10:35:19 PM by SteveScott »

Online 5ittingduck

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 18
Re: Has my rennet gone bad already?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 11:23:59 PM »
Check the expiry date.
I had the same thing happen and it was only days out of date after it had worked fine for ages.
If you are in doubt about the leakage factor, get a new one.  In the scheme of things they are not too expensive, and you will have eliminated one source of potential trouble.

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 27
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 11:31:37 PM »
It is unlikely to go  that bad that fast, but maybe it was already well past it's good date and was on a fast down hill slide .  If that is the case your next rennet will be much stronger so unjust for that.

How long  did it sit in the  mix water before you added rennet to milk ?

More than 10 minutes can have an effect , more than 15 can have a big effect

Acid not dropping far enough can have an effect and so can the milk ; milk changes through out the year a little .

And if milk is higher ph it has more buffers against acid drop , thus longer to start the acid dropping .

Once I had a milk so good it took more than 2 hrs to get a drop of .2

Try again but with just 25 % more rennet , then if still not working well then yes get more .

Online 5ittingduck

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 18
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 02:24:04 AM »
And forgot to mention another common trap, dilution of rennet with chlorinated water wrecks it.

Offline Chetty

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 8
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 09:00:47 AM »
If I use tap water from my cheese room I add some milk to the water before adding the rennet.  The milk binds with the chlorine and keeps it from killing the rennet.  How long did you stir after adding the rennet?  I usually stir for one min and then try to stop the milk from moving as fast as possible.