Author Topic: Made a Valencay!  (Read 1762 times)

lovinglife

Made a Valencay!
« on: April 25, 2017, 01:49:57 PM »
Actually made several small shapes, this is my first time with a mold ripened, so I have no idea if it is correct, however, I got a beautiful white fluffy cover over the ash, aged for 2 weeks and tried the smallest shape, and it was pretty good.  No real softening but the flavor was good.  Let the larger ones age longer in a regular fridge, took one out last night to give it a try, probably 4 weeks aging, it looked perfect, nice softening and a little oozy, but YUCK!  I made it with goat milk and trust me, the extra two weeks aging made that perfectly clear!  ICK I don't care for goatie tasting cheese, which is too bad as it is developing some nice flavors but I just can't get past the goatie flavor.  Are there any goat milk cheese makers on here who can shed some light?  I am so disappointed, I really want to make cheese that tastes good, looks good, and we enjoy eating, this wasn't it.  Maybe age cooler at first?  Different cultures? Anything at all to help?  I would love to get an oozy cheese that isn't ode to billy....  I fear that the oozy factor I want is the breaking down of the cheese and ramping up the goat flavor.  My goat milk to drink is the best, great flavor, keeps at least two weeks in the fridge still tasting wonderful, so it isn't the milk, I'm afraid it's just the nature of the goat.  But, I thought I would ask you all on this board, so many great cheese makers here.  I followed the recipe by Gianaclis Caldwell.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
Re: Made a Valencay!
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 02:30:19 PM »
I have no personal experience (unfortunately - wish I had access to goats milk!), but I've read somewhere that one way to reduce the goatiness of the cheese is to keep the males and the females separated. Hopefully one of our experienced goat milk maker will chime in ...
-- Andy

lovinglife

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 06:05:46 PM »
If my milk was goaty I could see that, but it isn't and stays good a long time, also my bucks and does are not together.  Even during breeding season when they are together the milk has no off taste, I think it's the aging process.  Hope there are some other goat milk cheese makers on here.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 07:05:02 PM »
Well, rats. I was hoping that would prove helpful. Tiarella keeps goats, and I recall her talking about a super-simple goat cheese that she makes. (At least, I hope I'm not mixing her up with someone else ...) She has not been very active lately, but checks in once in a while.
-- Andy

SOSEATTLE

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 01:27:59 AM »
When cheeses age, the fats and proteins in it break down which contributes to changes in flavor and texture in the ripened. In the case of goat's milk, as the cheese ages the 3 fatty acids capric, caproic, and caprylic are produced. These fatty acids are specific to goat's milk/cheese. It is my understanding that it these are what give goat cheese it's characteristic tang and gamey/goaty flavor. Of course breed, diet, freshness of milk, and buck exposure can also affect flavor. However, it is unlikely you will get rid of the "goaty" flavor in aged goat cheese because of it's specific composition. I personally enjoy the goaty flavor, but it is a matter of personal preference-kind of like blue cheese. Some people love it, and others not so much. If you don't like the goaty flavor then I would stick to fresher cheeses.

Susan

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 05:27:34 AM »
My lactic acid goat cheeses never taste goaty , though I have never licked a goat so I can not say with 100% confidence .

My wife agrees though , and she is a good taster.

And I some times keep them 4 weeks or more , so I do not know what to suggest to help steer you in the right direction.

I also never put mine into the fridge until after I have started to eat them  and being small they do not last long. They are made from store bought pasteurized milk , not sure if that would change goatiness or not .

lovinglife

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 01:27:57 PM »
Well, shoot, kind of what I figured.  I guess I will try to acquire a taste for the goat...  My soft goat cheese is awesome and it keeps well in the fridge, only problem is when I ripen with the whole aging process.  Man, the valencays turned out just beautiful, I think I will keep making that type of cheese only eat it younger and not let it get to the oozy stage, it was great at 2 weeks.  I am totally into the cheese making addiction, even getting some grapes planted to start wrapping in grape leaves for a cool presentation.  The cheddar is good as a young cheese, but does not have enough cheddar flavor, any ideas how to get a better cheddar flavor with short aging?  We enjoy a good sharp nutty taste of the aged but the gamey kind of takes away from it, until I develop that acquired taste anyway.  Thanks again all you cheese experts!

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2017, 05:14:07 AM »
I think  a valencay should not go full gooey, runny if it does then the curd was to moist .

It should go soft at the edges then firm again until it ages out to a grating cheese .

This is what I am working on now , controlling the moisture , if too moist then it goes runny near the skin , just right and it changes texture color and  flavor  right under the rind and moves towards the center

It seems easiest to use a fan to get the rind drier .

lovinglife

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2017, 01:30:35 PM »
Thanks, it was getting pretty soft near the rind, the center was firm but not as firm as before.  I will keep trying.

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2017, 04:55:48 AM »
The few lactic sets that I have made cow or goat that have gone runny near the edge , have tasted a little sharper , harsher .

So maybe if you get the rind dryer then possibly you could find a level of goatiness that you find tolerable , or even enjoy.

lovinglife

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2017, 01:30:03 PM »
I will try that, I need to develop a taste for a little gamey in the cheese I guess.  Being used to nothing but store bought it may take me awhile to develop that appreciation!  LOL