Author Topic: Red in my blue cheese  (Read 1983 times)

Dorchestercheese

Red in my blue cheese
« on: April 25, 2017, 11:42:39 PM »
So I tasted my blue at 2.3 month old.. lots of blue and some red spots.. salty too..

Duntov

Re: Red in my blue cheese
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 12:02:55 AM »
Pictures?  What is your recipe?

Dorchestercheese

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 12:22:00 AM »
Picture of red on blue cheese

Duntov

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 12:45:07 AM »
Is the red primarily in the areas that were pierced?  I had a problem once where B linens entered my cheese in the pierced holes.

Dorchestercheese

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 12:07:53 AM »
Here is the cheese color

Duntov

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 01:08:05 AM »
Oh that doesn't look good.  I am at a loss.

smcaro@gmail.com

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2017, 03:04:26 AM »
Definitely not good. In any case, something of the sort happened to me with a " stilton" which was neglected. At the end I scraped off all the " weird" moulds and added Cream Cheese and made a spread, tons of spread actually. Both my wife and myself and the various friends I shared it with I have seen since, and they still are on speaking terms with me, so I guess it went rather well.

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2017, 04:34:53 AM »
I seem to recall that this was the cheese you made on purpose with red white and blue?  So washed rind ( red)
Blue mold ( blue ) and white just normal curd( white)

Then if that is the case seems like you hit it dead on to me . 

Did the flavor blend or are they distinct ?

DoctorCheese

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2017, 06:01:34 AM »
I seem to recall that this was the cheese you made on purpose with red white and blue?  So washed rind ( red)
Blue mold ( blue ) and white just normal curd( white)

Are you thinking of me? "The American"

Dorchestercheese

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2017, 05:34:58 PM »
Yes I'm at a loss to what to do with new cheeses so they don't turn that weird brown.  I've looked through my group of 6-7 wheels left and there is this presence.  I scrapped some as some recipes ask and some I've left unscrapped..
How do people move from forming the cheese through the three months in a cave?  Mine are in plastic boxes inside my mini-fridge cave. 

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2017, 06:42:08 AM »
Ah yes it was you , with your American cheese.

Dorchestercheese

If you were not intending to get b linens , then for sure the cheese rind was too wet.

Too many variables to say what happened without a full recipe and how much you varied from it . But I can say that if the there is blinens inside then it is possible you are not getting the curd dry enough before molding , or the acid markers are not being hit for molding and salting  so if you are using a timed recipe then add more time .

But lets assume that the curd is correct and the surface is still too moist then you should not cover the boxes with lids , or possibly give them something time in front of a fan .

More important was how did it tasted .

If it was palateable I would go ahead and eat it if it was me .

The only cheeses I do do not eat are ones that  do not taste good to me.

Dorchestercheese

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2017, 11:43:08 AM »
Thanks.  It taste like my basement floor over salted, my basement is dirt floor stone walls
I'm sure I introduced the b linens from the surface when thought it would be great to do a second peircing a month into the aging.
As for drying the cheese I'm waiting 5 days at room temp not covered most of the time.  I add 2 tablespoons of salt to the curd before forming and salt surface over three days.
I'm tempted to toss them and keep trying so I don't contaminate the new ones I've made.

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2017, 03:49:13 AM »
I too had a blue that was overly dirty tasting ..... sort of , more like a dirt flavored blue .

Some one here mentioned to vacumm bag it for a few weeks , seemed to help .

If you do not vacumm bag , then tightly wrapped in tin foil .

Better than throwing it out

Dorchestercheese

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2017, 11:52:00 AM »
I dried my recent blue cheese 5 days at RT put them in my cave. Last night I noticed a brown tan to the surface.  I dashed them with a little salt and immediately I saw water come to the surface.  Any good rules of thumb to when blue is really dry?

AnnDee

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2017, 01:51:10 PM »
It looks close to fuschia (bright pink to purple) to my eyes but it may be just my screen, but if it is dark/bright purply pink then it might be giberella, and I don't think it is very good for you.