Author Topic: Hot Gouda  (Read 1229 times)

5ittingduck

Hot Gouda
« on: April 27, 2017, 02:14:40 AM »
Flavoured Gouda on the way, made in 2 x 10 litre batches.  I intend to layer them in the moulds.
On the left is "cool" heat, Tasmanian native pepper (2 Tbs Med Ground) and English Mustard (1 Tbs Fine Ground).
On the right is "Warm" heat, Chille and Garlic (300mls Sriracha hot chilli sauce).
I was worried the chemicals in the spices might stop coagulation, but I have set curds right now.  They are perhaps just a little softer than I normally get with raw cows milk.
Curds have a good spice "Hit", and hopefully I won't loose too much impact during cooking and washing.
The rest of the process you will all be familiar with, there won't be much more to report until the cheese has matured, maybe 6 months on this one.
I will comment later on how the curds taste drained.

5ittingduck

Re: Hot Gouda
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 06:28:13 AM »
The curds are now in the press for the night.
The Pepper Mustard mix kept a lot of it's heat and will be nice and peppery.
The Sriracha lost some burn to the whey, about half it's potency I suspect.  It also seemed to slow curd formation a little, gave me a softer curd and lost a little more fat to the whey.  There is noticeably less orange curd in the moulds.
The inspiration for this was an English cheddar which had Sriracha added after milling.  It didn't hold together to well, but I suspect they made the decision to go that way after trying to flavour the milk?
I love chilli with cheese, but I'm getting much better results with Native Pepper, it must be a sign ;)

AeonSam

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 01:04:11 AM »
Waiting for more pics!

DoctorCheese

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 01:30:01 AM »
Same!

5ittingduck

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 11:45:06 PM »
From your lips to my ears, so it shall be done.
Note my trademark roughed up handmade appearance........

Duntov

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 01:34:44 AM »
A cheese for you for thinking outside of the box!  Can't say I have every seen one before.  lol

DoctorCheese

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2017, 02:29:09 AM »
Looks like someone melted some crayons together  ;) I bet they will taste good though!

5ittingduck

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2017, 06:47:41 AM »
And a bonus shot, the last of the grass fed Goudas I label "Spring" cheeses.
Fresh green grass and no additive feeding.
This one has a few mechanical holes, I press harder now so there should be fewer.  Nice smooth paste, soft and springy.
CHN 19 culture, recipe from Ricki Carroll's book. Helen is a Jersey and Bubbles is a Jersey cross Holstein I think.
5 months old and getting some big, big flavour.  Really rich and smooth.
This one is for Pizza and snacking, it seems to be melting really well.

DoctorCheese

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2017, 03:41:03 PM »
Oh do you have your own cows? That would explain all of the access to raw milk! I'm jealous!