Author Topic: Moldy Rind/ Natural Rind Caerphilly= Taste of Portland  (Read 2003 times)

DoctorCheese

Moldy Rind/ Natural Rind Caerphilly= Taste of Portland
« on: May 03, 2017, 04:17:48 AM »
Hello all. I am back at it again; pushing the limits of cheese; making spooky decisions. For my latest stunt, I am creating a cheese that is meant to capture the essence of where I live, Portland, Oregon, USA. Based on some of the responses I got back when I did my experimental white mold cheeses, I expect there will be some naysayers for this experiment as well. Nonetheless, here is what I have decided to do.

The cheese style is Caerphilly that I made using 50% raw milk from a local grass fed free range sort of establishment (I shake the ranchers hand each time I pick up milk from him). The next step is to purposefully allow the molds, yeasts, and airborne bacteria to vent in through my window and on to the cheese that is wet still from being brined. Each time I flip the cheese I will try and spread the invisible microflora around evenly, continuing for several days until the cheese is nice and dry. Then, in to the cave it goes at 90% humidity for the first week with the same spreading treatment. The cheese will then age for a minimum of 60 days at a lower humidity to dry out the rind.

Ingredients
  • 1/4 tsp MA4001
  • 1/16 tsp lipase
  • 2 gallons raw milk
  • 2 gallons P&H

I will be keeping a photo journal of the cheeses journey, so keep your eyes peeled and Fingers crossed  ^-^
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 04:22:51 AM by DoctorCheese »

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
Re: Moldy Rind/ Natural Rind Caerphilly= Taste of Portland
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 04:22:03 AM »
Sounds like a fine idea for a natural rind but you need more of a tent like structure unless you want flies laying eggs on that cheese . The mesh can not touch the cheese .

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 06:33:11 PM »
Jobe, I can't remember - have you made cheese using lipase before? Just a word of warning, that unless it is a very short aged cheese, a tiny, tiny bit goes a long, long way. If it winds up overpowering the flavors imparted by your natural flora, you might try again without the lipase, or with only 1/64 tsp or so.
-- Andy

DoctorCheese

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 08:20:31 PM »
Sounds like a fine idea for a natural rind but you need more of a tent like structure unless you want flies laying eggs on that cheese . The mesh can not touch the cheese .
I have not seen any flies, but that is a good point!
Jobe, I can't remember - have you made cheese using lipase before? Just a word of warning, that unless it is a very short aged cheese, a tiny, tiny bit goes a long, long way. If it winds up overpowering the flavors imparted by your natural flora, you might try again without the lipase, or with only 1/64 tsp or so.
Yes. Last time I put in too much and did put less this time.

DoctorCheese

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 10:01:27 PM »
Tent structure is a-go!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 04:36:27 PM »

I have not seen any flies, but that is a good point!
Yes. Last time I put in too much and did put less this time.
I was being very careful but some opportunistic female got in and tried to mess me up!

Check this.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

DoctorCheese

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017, 10:17:46 PM »
I was being very careful but some opportunistic female got in and tried to mess me up!
-Boofer-
That is hard core. Fortune was in my favor this time, no eggs that I can see.

DoctorCheese

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2017, 04:40:36 PM »
Holy cow everyone. I forgot to share updates on this cheese! It has been a bit of an adventure. For a week there was no mold at all, then a light powdery white mold began to grow. The white mold spread all over with some speckling of blue mold in spots. After it grew for a week, I gave the cheese a nice brushing to give over molds a chance in case they were sad at not being able to contribute. Within a few days, the white mold grew back. Unfortunately, b linens began to take hold and started proteolysis (or lipolysis not sure) below the rind, resulting in a much early squishyness than I wanted. At first I tried scolding the brat bacteria saying, "Bad b linens, you stop that this instant!" However, my efforts were in vain, the little ingrates kept on proliferating and munching on my cheese. Eventually, I decided to brush the cheese off, quarter it, and vacuum bag it. When it was open, I was able to sneak a taste. It tasted like something between getting slapped in the face by an ex-girlfriend and the color yellow. A very interesting cheese indeed.

John@PC

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2017, 07:44:09 PM »
It tasted like something between getting slapped in the face by an ex-girlfriend and the color yellow.

Uhmmmmm... now that's descriptive, whatever it is that it describes :o.  Great starting sentence for a novel.  Cheese looks great too. 

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2017, 02:36:10 PM »
Agreed - quite descriptive!
-- Andy