Author Topic: Malemert with a difference - Project Kefir Cheese  (Read 3022 times)

AnnDee

Re: Malemert with a difference - Project Kefir Cheese
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2017, 10:50:41 AM »
Hi Mal,
I made kefir cams before with inconsistent results, 1 batch went hard, 1 batch was like yours, they went gooey in the end (but tasted a bit funky), and 1 batch went soft and gooey in time.
I think it all depends also on the kefir strain and how strong it is, I experimented with upto 12 days old kefir. Older kefir tend to have more potent cultures, mould and spores but it also give more funky taste.

All in all, after a few experiments I went back to DVI.  ;D
I still drink the kefir though and it makes good face mask too!

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2017, 01:35:33 AM »
After the initial pH drop from adding the Kefir  there wasn't enough to carry the process on.  There is still plenty of moisture in the cheese as the mould are still working - just very slowly - as I can see the condensation inside the ripening containers.
I tested the pH of the cheese  still in the containers and although they are just below 5.5 and the pH of the harder centre is still about 5.2, I don't think there has been the expected raising of the outside from say 4.7 back up to the mid 6's to allow for the
resolubalisation of the calcium (hence centres are not gooey).

The other point well made by AnnDee is that the cultures in the Kefir are at unknown quantities and concentrations and my Kefir was barely 48 hours old and David Asher doesn't really give any guidelines on how mature his Kefir is. 

We're still eating the cheese as there technically nothing wrong with it -it just could be better.

CheeseOn  8)

-- Mal

Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

nightsky

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2017, 07:42:27 AM »
I'd have to agree with the unpredictability of the cultures active in the kefir.

Here's my theory: If the lactic acid bacteria in the kefir outcompete the yeasts, you end up with a higher yield of lactic acid for the molds to feed on later. However, if the yeasts become more prominent, then you might have a lower lactic acid content even at the same pH.

If that truly is the case, you can try pre-ripening with FD to a certain pH target before adding the kefir to bias the cultures towards one end of the spectrum.

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2017, 03:10:46 AM »
All I can say for sure is that kefir left in a jar  (with a lid)  for 6 months in the cheese cave will select for a culture that thrives in the coldness of a cheese cave and gives every cheese a odd bitter like after taste , and it shows up on a cheese as young as 2 weeks old .

My wife now has to store her kefir in the fridge .

Just a warning

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2017, 01:02:39 AM »
Thanks for the warning.  I too have my Kefir in the fridge.  I ferment overnight and only 500mls and just consume that during the day so it wont sit and take over my cave.  I'm going back to cloth bandaging my Cheddars so I'll keep your advice in mind.

Well, The first cheese - my Malemberts - were, sadly, a flop.  I left the remaining cheese to mature but it was not to be.  Instead, the white mold rind just got thinker and the inside paste just got funky.   It did soften and a small taste was as it was 2 weeks age - disappointing.

Yep-  I'm calling this one a Bust.  Going back to DVI cultures - not lazy just that it works and like the results.

-- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2017, 04:31:03 AM »
I am beggining to wonder if kefir has too many living things in it to make really good cheese .

mikey687

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2017, 09:58:34 PM »
I tried making camemberts a couple of years ago using Kefir and raw milk a number of times and saw a lot of the above effects. Late maturing, funky taste, never really any ammonia developing or a sense of paste.

I assumed it was because I didn't know what I was doing but I'm going to try making some Malemberts this year using DVI cultures and hoping it's going to be a bit different  :)