Author Topic: Percentage lactic acid  (Read 1096 times)

Offline Lloyd

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 12
  • Default personal text
Percentage lactic acid
« on: May 08, 2017, 05:31:51 PM »
Not sure where to ask this - hopefully this is a good place. If not, mods please move.

Is there an easy conversion from percentage lactic acid to pH?  The book I'm reading at the moment makes no mention of pH at all - every thing is % lactic acid.  It may have been covered in my chemistry lessons, but that was 40 years ago.

DoctorCheese

Re: Percentage lactic acid
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 08:14:34 PM »
I wouldn't think a formula really exists to convert percent lactic to a solution pH because there are so many variables. Also, how in tarnation are you expected to know the percent lactic acid unless your a organic chemist or something?

SOSEATTLE

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 01:09:30 AM »
The book is referring to acid titration to determine the acidity of the curd. From my understanding it was used more in the past than currently, though there may be cheese makers that still use the acid titration method. I took a cheese making class a few years ago that we did both methods. I don't know if there is an easy way to convert back and forth.

Susan

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 03:13:09 AM »
Also, how in tarnation are you expected to know the percent lactic acid unless your a organic chemist or something?
"you're an organic chemist"

Sorry, I don't normally correct spelling & grammar, but I thought an aspiring PhD candidate should be shown the right track, and this kind of brought me up short when I read it.... A)

And besides, you said "advice is always welcome". ;)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

DoctorCheese

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 03:58:32 AM »
And besides, you said "advice is always welcome". ;)
That will teach me not to reply to posts using my phone on the way to class... ::)

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 04:49:29 AM »
i am not sure if this will do what you need

http://ph.lattelog.com