Author Topic: Camembert #1 and Cambozola #1  (Read 2953 times)

nightsky

Camembert #1 and Cambozola #1
« on: May 13, 2017, 03:17:03 PM »
So I'm currently working on my first batch of bloomy cheeses alongside some washed cheeses started at around the same time. My Camembert is currently at day 14 after salting and the two Cambozolas (though I'm not even sure if the blues took root) are at day 7 after P. candidum inoculation. You can see them in the attached picture at day 12 for the Camembert (leftmost) and day 5 for the Cambozolas.

All of the cheeses started showing white mold at the 4 day mark and I've been keeping them at >90% humidity at ~54F. Since the Camembert is now at day 14 and showing signs of softening just at the edges, I'm planning on moving it to a cooler aging space now. Is there a humidity I should maintain for the final ripening?

Also, I can't wrap them yet since the supplies I ordered might take a while to arrive. Once the wrappers do arrive, I plan on putting the cheese in. Again, what's the best way to store this in the fridge?

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
Re: Camembert #1 and Cambozola #1
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 05:52:08 AM »
Until your wrapping papers arrive , the smallest plastic container that fits . This will also give you a good humidity level .

Continue to wipe out moisture daily

nightsky

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 07:58:17 AM »
Once I've wrapped them, do I have to maintain it in a high humidity container? Is flipping regularly also necessary once they're wrapped?

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 01:26:55 PM »
They look good! Let me give you your first forum cheese (thumbs up).

Once wrapped, you do not need to keep them in a box - the special cheese paper does all the work. I do try to flip them periodically - every day if I remember, but I don't worry too much if I forget for a couple of days.
-- Andy

nightsky

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 02:22:25 PM »
Thanks for the advice and for the cheese!  ;D I hope those wrappers will arrive soon. Transit time for packages from the US are kind of variable.

One last thing. I noticed today that the Camembert's container is starting to produce a rather strong smell. I'd say it's kind of fruity (the closest fruit I can imagine is durian but that might not be something relatable) and pungent at the same time. There's no visible growth other than the white mold though. Is this normal?

EDIT: I also noticed that the rim of the cheese (the edges along the oval) are becoming soft and more prominent/slightly wrinkly. Is this Geo activity? I harvested mold from a store-bought cheese so I have no idea what kind of growth to expect.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 03:26:56 PM by nightsky »

Duntov

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 03:24:04 PM »
Looking good.  Have one on me also!

AeonSam

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 01:45:45 AM »

One last thing. I noticed today that the Camembert's container is starting to produce a rather strong smell. I'd say it's kind of fruity (the closest fruit I can imagine is durian but that might not be something relatable) and pungent at the same time. There's no visible growth other than the white mold though. Is this normal?

When my brie begins to ripen - it will start to smell like broccoli and or mushrooms. I get less of that smell the colder that I age it. The wrinkles are definitely the geo and the softening is the ripening. If it's too warm it will happen too quickly but you seem to have a really good handle on things very quickly.

Sam

nightsky

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 03:29:52 AM »
Thanks Sam! That's a bit of a relief. I already moved the first cheese to the colder fridge yesterday for slow aging. Hopefully these guys will turn out well.

I'll post an update when they're ready!

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 04:14:08 AM »
At this strange the worst that can happen is that you get slip skin .  This is where the outer parts get much too runny before the inner part . It is caused by too much moisture left in the curd after going into the cave or too warm of a ripening condition.

Your cheeses look like they are fine  so far , but even it you did end up getting it they are still edible .

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2017, 08:28:26 PM »
Durian -- remind me where you live? Surely must be somewhere in Southeast Asia? I lived many years in the Philippines and Singapore, and we have a few folks on here from Malaysia - AnnDee for one is quite active. Durian is not a smell I would want in my cheese, but yes, a bloomy can start to smell rather funky. At first it will be an earthy, mushroomy sort of smell, but as it matures it can become quite a strong ammonia smell. Slower (cooler) ripening can help keep that at bay.
-- Andy

nightsky

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2017, 02:49:25 AM »
You got that right. I'm originally from the Philippines so I grew up to the smell of durian (not everyone from there does though). ;D

The wrappers arrived today so I proceeded to wrapping Camembert #1. Is it okay if there are some parts of the cheese not in contact with the wrapper? I wrapped it up in a rectangular manner but the cheese itself is of an oval shape.

Also, you mentioned not needing to keep it in a box. Is there any harm if I do keep cheeses in a box during aging? I'm thinking it will keep the fridge odors out and prevent cross-contamination between my different types of cheese.

Is there also any problem with stacking wrapped cheeses as they age?

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2017, 06:15:25 AM »
I would not put the wrapped cheese in a box - I think that would retain too much moisture. I have not noticed any migration of flavors or smells once the cheese is wrapped. Stacking ... I try to avoid it, on the assumption that it will prevent or at least hinder the gas exchange for which the cheese wrap is designed. I do often set one down, then put the next one with an edge on the first one, and the next one with an edge on that, and so on. If I can make the characters work, it looks something like this:

_\ \

Well, that doesn't really look much like it -- the slashes are too vertical. Hopefully you get the idea anyway. Every day or so I flip and rearrange so a different cheese is the one sitting flat.
-- Andy

nightsky

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2017, 06:29:30 AM »
I should be removing it from the box later then. About stacking, the reason I'm asking is because I'm getting overrun by cheeses.  ::) Your method might be able to save some space though.

Another thing, do molds still propagate when wrapped? My Cambozolas don't seem to want to get an even bloom of PC. I try to gently rub the surface to move spores around starting from the PC spots but so far it's very uneven. I'm supposed to wrap them soon so I was wondering if that's even a good idea.

EDIT: Since the Cambozolas were sitting on wax paper and I was worried about them being too moist, I cut out a piece of the 2-ply wrap and used it as the bed instead. I've also added a picture of the two Cambozolas. The lighter spots that feel like the cheese before it had any growth.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 10:30:08 AM by nightsky »

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2017, 03:01:38 PM »
You are cutting off air flow. Mold needs abundant air to grow.

nightsky

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2017, 04:08:08 PM »
That does make sense given the limited space I'm working with. If aeration is the issue, I could:
1. Open the box several times a day to get more air moving; OR
2. Wrap the cheeses up so I can keep them in the fridge without a box.

Would any of these help? Or is there a better way?